Barnsley Bush men wanted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
This is just to follow up my PM from this morning - this thread might be a better register of interest than a horde of ancient PM's. :)

For those travelling from Sheffield, I can offer lifts anywhere along the Longley/Chapeltown/Wombwell route

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
morning folks

what a response! thank you all for replying and showing your interest.

i am going to begin a new thread on information regarding setting up a fellowship for the woods so please, whatch that space.

so far i see some points have been raised, like the schedules regarding the site. yes, it will be harvested in small areas, MAYBE, in the future though these would be in areas that do need it! the last time any coppice work was carried out here was well over 30 years ago, with the most recent sweet chesnut planting is now 20 year old, overstood and will be reduced to firewood.

if i, we can prove a decline of species diversity over a prolonged period, we will have the perfect arguement for begining imtimate management of the woods... the fight goes on..

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Mike
Seems you've got plenty of willing hands, now what to do with them? :)

If there is a already a "friends of" organisation or custodian, wouldn't the ranger know about them and put us in touch?

Perhaps the plan could be to work in an unofficial capacity whilst moving towards going legit. I for one would be happy to do this as long as we can get the ranger's buy-in whilst he/she is still around. I don't want to spend a day clearing scrub for someone to then turn up and say "hey, I wanted that"!

Let us know

Rat

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
scrogger you have a valid point, it does look like alot of work full of comlications. from what i have just read, you have to write constitutions, ethics, have a treasurer, sectretary etc.

this sunday, the 14th, from 10 am til 2pm there is a voluntary session with the FC cutting rhody back. please come along and meet a few folks and the ranger, maybe we could put some thoughts together.

i am free for the rest of the week if anyone fancies meeting up for a wander. i'll bring the tea n biccies

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
Mike
Seems you've got plenty of willing hands, now what to do with them? :)

If there is a already a "friends of" organisation or custodian, wouldn't the ranger know about them and put us in touch?

Perhaps the plan could be to work in an unofficial capacity whilst moving towards going legit. I for one would be happy to do this as long as we can get the ranger's buy-in whilst he/she is still around. I don't want to spend a day clearing scrub for someone to then turn up and say "hey, I wanted that"!

Let us know

Rat

to true! there is a wombwell woods society, they are meeting at the wombwell cricket club next tuesday the 16th, at 6pm if anyone would like to come. but please lets keep our heads down until we have structured plan to take to them.

the ranger has told me that he would be a member, we have his full backing and i liase with the Fc when they are onsite as to upcoming projects.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
this sunday, the 14th, from 10 am til 2pm there is a voluntary session with the FC cutting rhody back. please come along and meet a few folks and the ranger, maybe we could put some thoughts together.

I'll be there and I'm sure Spamel will come along too. I'll PM you for meetup info and all that
Rat

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
wahoo! just got my start date for work brought forward to tomorrow, so will not be around all week for wandering. just aswell since the baby is due anytime now!

if anyone is free for today, give me a ring 07908363770

finally back in work!!!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Hi Mike,

Andy (Scrogger) suggested I might be able to help with contacts through the Friends of Haggwood, unfortunately my contact with the FOHW has been minimal at best, so I'm not really able to help there.

Might I suggest that what you are trying to do seems very similar to how a group within the Friends of Chopwell Woods do things. Getting all those with an interest in your project to join up to the Wombwell Woods Society and start off by joining in with their working parties might be the way ahead. I realise you've already mentioned doing this, but think you are more likely to get what you want from within a pre-existing society than by starting afresh. If you have the ex-FC ranger onside then so much the better and the society people are less likely to view folks who want to camp in the woods as people who will leave fire rings and bottles and cans all over the place.

I'd dearly love to say that I'll come and help, but realistically, I don't have enough hours in the day as it is. Best of luck though!

Al

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
wahoo! just got my start date for work brought forward to tomorrow, so will not be around all week for wandering. just aswell since the baby is due anytime now!

if anyone is free for today, give me a ring 07908363770

finally back in work!!!

Congratulations fella! You can buy the buns on Sunday :D

Rat

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
Al21, your points are taken and appreciated. I do think you are correct that this is the way to move forward. i do believe that they already have the permits in place and get a free ticket to keep the 'local huggers' quiet. hmmm i feel a plan comin together

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
ok, for all those who want to come on sunday to the rhody bashing session with the FC, it is being turned into a 'meet', ahem, for those who want to be involved with this project.

the meet will be between 0930 and 1000 hrs in the new car park, on Woodhead Lane, off the Dearne Valley bypass.

If you want to bring tools, thats ok, but please no chainsaws etc, bill hooks, handsaws n hatchets are fine. The FC ranger as mentioned will be onsite for those who want more info about the local history, which is quite interesting!!!

pm me with details if you think you might be able to attend so i have numbers for the rangers.

see you all soon

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
hand tools are fine. not so much a meeting before we start, the whole day will be a meet as a whole. 0930 to 1000 is just a guide meeting times

tea n stickies on me!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I cant make this sunday, again with it being valentines. Got plans with the family unfortunately.

Any future dates though i should be good for,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE