Bark River Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Just curious to know if anyone has one and how you've found it? Considering buying a mini canadian as it's a great size for camp chores and a lot more practical than a larger blade.

Also very tempted to try out a convex ground blade and I think it'll accompany my Mora very nicely on my camping trips :eek: Tis a bit of an upgrade in price tho' which is why I'd like some (reasonably) unbiased opinions!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like, and use, my mini Canadian :D
I have the micro one as well, and though it gets used, it's not quite as useful for me.

Basically they're skinners, one of my friends is a butcher and he showed me how to butcher a deer. He used a tiny little knife the size of his forefinger, so size is not an issue for that kind of task. Boning out needed a long slender blade though.

I don't eat meat so the knives don't get used for that, however. They do get used for slicing, scraping and peeling.
Since the mini has faux tortoiseshell scales I have no worries using it for wetwork, I use it when up to my elbows in the ponds cutting roots and the like.

I like them both. They're rarely sharpened, though I strop often, and they keep a good edge.
Mine have had a lot of use, but I would say that some folks find them just too small in the hand.
The sheaths are pretty pathetic, if you're intending it for a necker, maybe best make a new one.
The scales delaminated and peeled off the mini canadian. Warthog1981 cleaned everything up and refixed them for me.
I don't know if this is an issue for most folks or just me because I will use them wet and muddy.

cheers,
Toddy

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Hi Highbinder,
I've got a Bark River Manitou, I find it to be superb in all respects, fit and finish, very easy to maintain and due to it's cutting geometry, an excellent slicing tool. I know the Canadian series has a lot of fans, don't think you'll regret buying one!

Dave.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have had a few and they all had some sort of imperfection, badly fitted scales mostly.
When i had a more serious problem with my Northstar, (blade was badly pitted when it arrived new) - the customer service was very poor and took ages to get a refund from BRKT after i returned it to them.
I sold my MC a while ago, nice handy wee design but again the scales didn't fit properly - all the sheath i have had have been poor.
Having owned and handled quite a few I can't see me ever buying a BRKT again.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Thanks guys,

Toddy, sounds good. A big blade is overkill for my use and I feel more comfortable being able to justify a small knife, too. TBH at the moment I use my opinel along with the laplander saw more than my mora so an upgrade to retire my old opinel is what's needed. I guess I have medium to small hands so I don't think I'll have problems with the knife being small.

rapidboy, that's disappointing but I guess every company has occurances of bad customer service. From what I've seen on their forums theyr'e pretty helpful. I've heard other negative reviews of the owners take on problem knives but then again I've read numerous raving reviews. Guess thats just how it goes?

Anyways, I've kinda bitten the bullet. Earmarked a mini canadian from DLT trading, here are the pics I was sent,

DSCN1412.jpg

DSCN1413.jpg

It's a 2010 'custom' or something, bone handles with green liners. The liners were the tipping point. I was trying desperately to get a bumble bee in olive wood but its' impossible to be found. I've been informed on the forums there'll be another run the first quarter of this coming year so if I like the mini canadian I'll think about buying another BRK :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just been on the site and they have a few items KSF dont have in stock :)

how much was shipping if you dont mind me asking, just checked with PP, and it didn't add anything on, but i didn't want to risk 'completing' as yet.

Cheers, TBL.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I have four Brkt blades a mc north star fox river and my edc at work a highland north star is a pre production prototype and flawless fox river first production run and so are the other two had to redo scales on the highland was a pain finding pins the right size found some long rivets that were perfect in the end

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Just been on the site and they have a few items KSF dont have in stock :)

how much was shipping if you dont mind me asking, just checked with PP, and it didn't add anything on, but i didn't want to risk 'completing' as yet.

Cheers, TBL.

12.50$ for priority shipping to the UK is not bad. I was going to buy a spyderco UKPN, guess I'll have to wait for the BRK to arrive before I know if I've made the right choice or not!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
12.50$ for priority shipping to the UK is not bad!

Thanks for the reply buddy... $12 give or take seems to be the price most of the stateside shops charge for UK dlivery, which you cant fault really :)

Let us know how you find it, i'm on the verge of purchasing the same model now... out of all the BRKT smaller knifes, i keep coming back to the mini-canada.

Regards, TBL.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Thanks for the reply buddy... $12 give or take seems to be the price most of the stateside shops charge for UK dlivery, which you cant fault really :)

Let us know how you find it, i'm on the verge of purchasing the same model now... out of all the BRKT smaller knifes, i keep coming back to the mini-canada.

Regards, TBL.

I'll be sure to post some snaps and comparison shots when it arrives. I was quoted 10 working days for the package so hopefully should be here soonish. I was tempted by a couple of the other smaller blades, the little drop point hunter and also the pro scalpel, but prefered the blade geometry of the mini canadian. Very tempted to buy an Imp or Bumble Bee, too! (as well as a bunch of their other models LOL)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I'll be sure to post some snaps and comparison shots when it arrives. I was quoted 10 working days for the package so hopefully should be here soonish. I was tempted by a couple of the other smaller blades, the little drop point hunter and also the pro scalpel, but prefered the blade geometry of the mini canadian. Very tempted to buy an Imp or Bumble Bee, too! (as well as a bunch of their other models LOL)

Yup, i hear you... custom-pro drop point, micro drop point, pro-skinner (+2)... still keep coming back to the canada LoL!
that imp is a very nice looking sharp too ;)

I've settled for the mini-canada, liten-bror and a golock to round it up... although i keep looking at the aurora, and the mini-northstar's a good price too :)

keep us posted! if you go to http://www.the-knife-connection.com it gives you a picture of the sharps 'in hand' if it helps,
as i gather some of the BRKT's turn up eather smaller, or larger than expected, so it gives you a 'rough' idea of sizing.

postage is also $12, same as KSF.

and, thanks for the heads up toddy.

TBL.

Last edited:
Convex blades are deceptively sharp, and tend to stay that way.

I carry an Aurora with a firesteel for making stuff, and a Bird & Trout for food prep. All are convex, and all only need a light strop after use to keep them shaving sharp. The B&T is the same as the Kitchen Utility, but comes with a sheath. I'm eyeing off a Liten Bror to complement the Aurora. As the name suggests (Little Brother), they would make a nice working set.

BTW - it's worth making yourself a leather field-strop with sharpening/cutting compound, especially for the convex grinds. Or practise a lot with a stone.

Much has been written on the quality, or lack thereof, of Barkies. Check out the various blade forums. FWIW - mine have always arrived well made, fitted and finished, and never let me down.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
Gday Mike, long time no see :D

The Barkies I've seen in hand have always been great, but I have seen photo's of some issues that should have been stopped by QC.

Good luck with your search

Hi Glenn,

Yes, familiar "faces", eh.

Which reminds me, I did have a Barkie Limited Edition "River's Edge" ... did I buy it from you?
Anyhoo - the scales were a rough fit. I bought it with the intention of it being a user, but it just sat around the safe. I eventually sold it on to someone in the US.

Back to topic ... Highbinder, Barkies are often semi-custom due to a wide choice of handle materials. Another option could be to get a custom knife from one of many local (as in British) makers, or from here in Aus or the US. I've found prices to be comparable, and you get an individually made and personalised knife.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well it arrived today. First impressions are good. Nice weight to it and the blade is THICK! Fit and finish looks good, as does the sheath.

Looking forward to doing a bit of carving whilst I'm out this weekend - tho the blade is sharp it is no sharper than my Opinel - definately needs to be tidied up a bit. Can someone suggest a good strop and compounds I can use to keep the blade in good condition? Something I can keep in my rucksack please (as I will be traveling this coming year)

Heres a piccy I took just now, will get a couple of better ones when its daylight :)

IMG_6159.jpg

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Made a little improvement,

IMG_6163.jpg

Black bungie prussic on a longer cord to hold the handle incase it slips out of the sheath. Got to love procrastinating when you're skint...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE