Bark River Forrester 1st impressions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Before I post this I must point out I am part of the Bark River Development Team. However, those that know me will be able to attest to the fact I call what I see and experience. I am not for sale and tell it like it is! :D

Anyway.... here are my first impressions!

Just got one of these stunning knives in the post. Got hammered on tax and VAT, but what's a guy to do?

The handle is black with stripes of yellow, blue, red and white. I am told its multistripe micarta

Size... this knife is MASSIVE

Seriously, this knife would scare an Aligator! The heft and balance seem spot on and the edge is very very sharp. Fit and finish are excellent. Grind lines seem perfect.

The sheath, while quite plain, is a big improvement over previous Bark River sheaths. I think it will need some Nirkwax on it though. The sheath is partly split "open" to allow the spine of the knife to pivot in and out of the sheath. This is very much required in such a strange knife shape. I would say the sheath leather stock seems a little thin for such a large knife, though like I said this really is nit picking now. One nice touch is the way the sheath can be worn two ways on the belt. You can set the knife for a high ride or a low ride on the belt thanks to some thoughtful placement of rivits. Very very nice.

Really, if you have not seen a smatchet before your in for a treat!

This knife reminds me of the Welsh Cledd sword. Interesting as I am from Wales! The HUGE fuller really cuts down on the weight, though its still a MASSIVE beast and really feels heavy and yet fast in the hand. You could smash animal bone and split wood with EASE!

As we say in Wales Segurdod yw clod y cledd

I thought at first that this knife was made from A2 steel... but now I am told by Mike its forged Austrian Bohler n685. Very much like the stainless steel used in Randall knives!

I think there is a double edged version of this knife. The forrester has a thick spine. The Forrester would obviously make a far more useful tool, but a double edged smatchet would have to rank as one of the most historicaly significant knives for the game of bat and com. I will post some pics up when I get the time and aim to do a little review with some action shots as soon as possible.

This looks like a serious duty knife and I can't wait to see how she chops wood.

The Bark River range is moving in directions I never expected, more variety and diverse designs are appearing all the time.

Forester_Black_Multi_Stripe.jpg

Here are the specs and another picture!

Blade Length: 10 Inches
Overall Length: 15.750 Inches
Thickness of Blade: .275 Inch
Width of Blade: 2.5 Inches
Length of Cutting Edge: 9.5 Inches
Blade Steel: Bolher N-685 Stain Resistant High Carbon Alloy
Hardness: 58 rc
Guard and Pommel Material: Brass
Weight: 24 Ounces
Weight With Sheath:31.250 Ounces

forrester1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE