Bargain material find - can I use it for hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Hi folks,

I've not been around this forum for a while, life getting in the way y'know!

Anyway yesterday I popped into my favourite local material suppliers and found the PU coated nylon that I'd thought about buying on many occasions, to make a tarp out of was on offer. Usually £5/m they had two roll ends down to £1.50/m!! Well it'd be rude not to right?! So I bought the lot. There was 6m of olive green left, which is exactly what I wanted for my tarp (it's a sign! :D) and 2.6m of grey, both 1.5m wide. 2.6m would be a diddy size for a tarp so I was thinking hammock, but it's not really long enough for that either. At 5'8" tall, according to popular theory I'd need a hammock about 9'7" long.

Future 3m x 3m tarp :)

Future..... not sure yet!

Then I saw these in the bargain bin:

Two rolls of ripstop nylon in OD, £4 each, perfect! or..... not. It's only 1m wide and VERY thin. My question is can I use this stuff for a hammock? will it be strong enough?
I was thinking of doubling it up for strength, so if I measured out 3 lengths, then stitched them side by side, then folded it in half length ways it'd be two layers thick and 1.5m wide. I'd arrange it that the seams were a symmetrical distance either side of the center line, on the sides of the hammock when hung (running roughly outside of each shoulder). That way no uncomfortable seams under my bum, but also the seams wont be under the heavy stress they would experience if they were to run centrally.

I hope I'm explaining this well!

I've no idea what weight this material is, and no idea how to find out without actually weighing a meter of it, but it's so light I don't think I have scales that could accurately measure it.

Any of of you more knowledgeable folks got any tips?

Cheers all.
It's nice to be back! :D

James

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I reckon if you do a double skin it should hold you fine. Lots of how-to's and plans on hammockforums.net to get you up and running.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Alternatively, get hold of one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enjoydeal-...e=UTF8&qid=1465458747&sr=8-7&keywords=hammock

and use the OD material for something else.

Those hammocks on Amazon are pretty much exactly the same as the old BCUK group buy hammocks from several years ago that I used for a long time before I bought an expensive Warbonnet hammock. Whilst the Warbonnet hammock is fantastically comfortable, if I rated it at 100, the Amazon hammock that was 10% of the cost would get 95.

Cheers, Michael.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Oh, and at the ends - instead of trying to sew in a ring or loop, knot one in.
When I did mine, I tied the cord around the material about 20cm in from the end. Then took the loose end of the material and the cord together and tied that in a simple overhand knot, like tying a knot in the middle of a rope. Snuggled the knot down tight and that worked fine. Distributes the load well, and is pretty secure. Never any sign of it slipping. I think I got this from the hammockforums

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
I've used the 1m wide fabric before, it's a loose weave so he careful sewing the hammock channels as they can easily rip out, I'd use a whipped end TBH. I've bought lots of the 1m wide as it's great for mock ups,prototypes etc

At 5'8 I'd go for a 10'6 hammock, if it'll fit under your tarp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE