Baofeng Fanboys & Fan Girls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I thought it maybe useful to have a dedicated Baofeng Thread as it seems that the unit is the most common entry gateway tool for getting into Radio Hamming or just a useful little bit of kit in general for el cheapo financial outlay.

Despite passing my Foundation course some time ago I never really got around to cutting my teeth and actually using it.
I aim to rectify that an expand my knowledge and skills base somewhat in the next few months.

I've got a UV-5R base unit and I've just treated it to an increased Battery pack , a Slim-Jim whippy aerial , and a Car charger.

No doubt more add on toys will follow.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I am going to follow this one. My great uncle was a ham radio guy in the 70s and 80s .. well, most of his life. He was a radio operator in the merchant navy in the war and after. Had a shed at the bottom of the garden and was a magnificent yakker, in the Rhondda tradition :)

Reactions: TeeDee

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Get the program lead, and download chirp. Go to repeater net and download the CSV file of the UK repeaters. You will need to modify the columns to match what the baofeng wants. Dead easy to program up lots.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So a random search off of Youtube I found this UK based chap who has written an easy-yo-understand guide to Baofengs. Which I've ordered and will review.

And this link will give you a UK programmed Radio Base unit thats good to go right out of the box that needs no extra programming.

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The Baofeng's are insanely good value. I've got a background in micro-electronics and there is no way I could even buy the components needed for a dual band transceiver let alone shoe-horn them into a case that small for under £30!

Reactions: Qwerty and TeeDee

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have one I’ve used for maritime VHF and recently for working local repeaters. I bought the longer whip many recommend bought have struggled with the car cigarette lighter plug as it’s a bit of a temperamental fit to my car.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Also you need to remember that the front end filters are very wide. They receive broadcast FM all the way up to the 70cm amateur band. You can get front end filters that stop desense when it gets overloaded by broadcast stations that you can't hear because you are on 144MHz

Reactions: SaraR

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just spent the afternoon getting to grip with Chirp!

I've loaded 16 VHF channels, 8 UHF channels and the business licence (5w) PMR channels - It was easier than I was expecting and I've no idea why I didn't have a go earlier!

Haven't put any repeater channels in yet.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know some of you have tried other antenna with these units; has there been any significant improvement in performance?

I have built a simple radio frequency power meter and I have tried out a couple of dual frequency (2m/70cm) antenna but none of them give as good transmission power as the antenna supplied with the UV-5R.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Broch, are they branded or copies?
I've heard the copies are generally awful while the branded ones work better that the originals. i have a couple of after market ones but haven't measured them to check performance.
Anecdotally, they seem to work OK but I'm not testing them on longer distances.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just spent the afternoon getting to grip with Chirp!

I've loaded 16 VHF channels, 8 UHF channels and the business licence (5w) PMR channels - It was easier than I was expecting and I've no idea why I didn't have a go earlier!

Haven't put any repeater channels in yet.

What did you require to do the CHIRP upload?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I know some of you have tried other antenna with these units; has there been any significant improvement in performance?

I have built a simple radio frequency power meter and I have tried out a couple of dual frequency (2m/70cm) antenna but none of them give as good transmission power as the antenna supplied with the UV-5R.
Mine are better with bigger antennas but more prone to frontend overload.

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, so I've carried out some tests using the standard antenna and a NA-771 and the results are interesting. Some of you may be interested in my findings.

My radio is programmed to provide 16 of the VHF channels (V16 - V46 even numbers); 8 of the UHF channels (U272 - U286 even numbers); and the 15 Business Licence PMR channels. I tested the RF output at the lowest and highest frequencies; low, medium and high power settings; and with the two antenna.

In the chart below it is clear that the NA-771 provides a good performance improvement over the standard antenna at the lower frequency but considerably lower power at the higher frequency - the standard antenna performs consistently over the frequency range.

The power meter is not calibrated so the data is for comparison only and the numbers on the left don't mean anything - the x-axis is just the three power levels (so the diagram should just be three points for each configuration to be honest)

OK, not entirely scientifically rigorous perhaps but an interesting result.

Antenna Performance.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE