Banok

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i want to make a banok but all the recepies i have seen use powderes egg and powdered milk! I dont have that to hand right now and i think the banok would taste better with fresh egg.

Does anyone have a recepie for banok which uses an actual egg?

B

bushyboo

made it lots of times with powdered egg and milk tasted fine
you can get the powdered egg from tesco
hope this helps

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Egg and milk, I don't normally use either,
Flour, suet, pinch of salt, spoon of sugar, spoon of baking powder & enough water to make the dough, then fold in some dried fruit or raisins etc.
I suppose an egg in place of some of the liquid would work just as well - do some experimenting and let us know the results ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
jon r,

D*** straight a fresh egg works well - especially a duck egg!

If you add more water to a basic banock mix and make it runnier it makes a fine pancake batter with an egg in it. If you recipes section under articles theres loads of bannock recipes - I found Hoodoos pretty good

Heres my variation adding sugar and wild cherries

bannockug2.jpg

Or another using eggs and ripe blackberries and adding water until I got a thick pancake batter - which I fried

pancakesca4.jpg

PM me if you need any help mate - well worth a mess about on the stove too ;)

Red

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
British Red said:
jon r,

D*** straight a fresh egg works well - especially a duck egg!

If you add more water to a basic banock mix and make it runnier it makes a fine pancake batter with an egg in it. If you recipes section under articles theres loads of bannock recipes - I found Hoodoos pretty good

Heres my variation adding sugar and wild cherries

bannockug2.jpg

Red

Is that the one I think it is Red?

If it is it was very good eating it. But I think you will need a couple more in February!

LS

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah thats the sweet cherry one we baked in the fire in March...or was it June?

Got something better in mind for next month though mate - gotta keep pushing the boundaries...I was thinking of cooking fresh tortillas and making enchilladas and soured cream. BB is dreaming up loads of new recipes for the fire as well - did you see the chicken and sweetcorn soup she did on the fire last night? Fantastic that was - the chopped spring onion was great - would work well with wild ramsoms I was thinking.

I'm wondering if I can talk her into hot cinammon flapjacks in the dutch oven too - would go well with the mulled blackcurrant wine I think :D.

As the saying goes "we aren't animals after all" :D

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny thing is I baked that in the dish from a 14cm billy - makes a great baking tray :eek:

Don't you love bannock though? Makes anyone a fireplace chef :D

I do the basics of casserole and chillis and so forth - BB is the fireplace top chef - lemon chicken and basmati rice with a side of shredded chill beef is my fave (and nothing but fresh ingredients too :eek: )

Red

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
cheers guys! im gonna make some tomorrow!

cand do it today because the dam shooters are in the woods! They wreck everything for me! Im actuall banned from the woods where i live but that dont stop me! :lmao:

I never have fires in the woods though because they would kick my @$$ if they found out! :( Really annoying!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE