bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Folks the bannock idea has probably been beaten to death but I have a cool and vbery traditional way to mix it without making a mess so I though I would share it with everyone. I used to work at a hotel in Canada where we served bannock and the most people we made it for was about 2000...that's a lot of bannock.

When the wagon trains were coming west they often made ash cakes with no leavening simply because the gals were too tired after a day of traveling to do much more. They would open the flour barrel and made an intentation in the flour with their fist then pour in a little water......

I make my bannock mix like most other people. For every cup of flour a couple teaspoons of baking powder, some salt and a bit of powdered milk. I rarely add fat to my mix unless I plan on cooking it in the oven. Keep it in a heavy plastic bag or better yet a gallon can with plastic lid-way easy for the mixing method I use.

When I want to make some bannock I make the hole with my fist and pour in some water, about 1/4 cup will easily make enough bannock for one person. Then I mix it with a fork, stick etc. and slowly bring flour into the water by scraping the sides and bottom of the hole. Once I have a dough that will hold together a bit I switch to my hands and toss some of the dry mix onto the top of the dough and begin to gently knead it, turning it and getting more and more flour into the mix. Once it's stiff enough for my purpose I take it out and either cook it or stack them up before cooking them all at once. If I want to stack them I put generous amounts of dry mix between them to stop them sticking together.

If you fry them in a pan with oil/grease (it's called "fry bread" by the natives in North America) then keep the dough a bit softer and it will cook faster and not be doughy. Simply shallow fry in a pan. To wrap it around a stick you make it a bit thicker but still only thick enough to hold its weight before it begins to cook and harden on the stick. Once it begins to harden it will hold well onto the stick with no problems. If you add fat to the mix don't even bother trying to cook it on a stick as it sags and falls off. It took me a yelling and hollering fit to learn that one....some things aren't always best learned the hard way.

Of course you can add fat/butter/oil etc. to the mix if you cook it in the oven. You can add soaked dry fruit with raisins or currents being the traditional thing. You can make fried bread and put cinnamon sugar on it. You can dry it out too like hard tack and it will keep for a long time, and is good softened in your coffee or tea.

The BOMB for fried bread is to eat it as an "Indian taco" Top it with thin sliced lettuce, cooked ground beef (mince) with some taco seasoning added or your favourite chili, top it off with sour cream and some nice salsa and you'll understand what camping heaven can be.

I see all kinds of videos of people mixing bannock and the dough is sticky and stuck all over everything and it's a hell of a mess. This method eliminates all of that misery.

Have fun with it!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Now I'm feeling hungry! Thanks very much for that, we could do with more posts like that. Well, the slimmer ones amongst us could. :)

scumble

Apr 30, 2011
Sussex
I realise this may sound like a dumb question but what is bannock supposed to end up like? I tried making some but think I had the pan too hot and burnt one side, but realised I have no idea what it's supposed to be like to know if I've made it right.
Mine came out quite chewy, tasted nice though :)

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
It should be like a heavy scone I suppose. If you make it in the oven it will be a bit like Irish soda bread. On a stick nice and brown on the outside and like a heavy bread inside. In a pan is tricky so the best thing is to make it quite thin say about 1/4 inch then it will puff to about 1/2" with nice bubbles and will be a lot like Indian naan bread. To make it thick in a pan you're best to lean the pan gainst a log n front of the fire and use radiant heat...not my favourite way to be honest. We've made small stone ovens and heaped coals over them then baked in there, that way works nicely too.

Hey I forgot you can also make "turnovers" and fill with pie filling, cherry works well. Then wrap in foil and bake it beside the fire turning it occasionally until it's nice and firm and cooked. Be super careful the pie filling is hot like napalm!

scumble

Apr 30, 2011
Sussex
Thanks I'll try the tips next time I have a go, from what you've said I made mine far too thick.
solid bread is a good description, I can work with that :D

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I forgot another way, dumplings!! Mix it a little on the soft side, hard to describe but something that you'd have to spoon out but would still hold it's shape an egg isn't a bad idea in here if you have one. Then put spoonfuls of it on simmering stew or pie filling, stewed fruit or maple syrup (well I am a Canuck after all) put a lid on it and keep it simmering for a good about 30-40 minutes-no peeking. This is a good thing to do with a dutch oven.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Put mix in plastic bag, knead from the outside of the bag and empty into pan, no mess. Wash the bag at home and use again.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
That's exactly what I'm trying to show people not to do :) Fine if it works for you but the open top bag just plain works the best give it a try and you might be surprised.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE