Bannock mix stuck to fingers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Is there any way to stop the bannock sticking to my fingers?

I like i because flour is light and i can cook the bannock under hot ashes (No messy pots:D) but it sticks to my hands real bad is there a way to avoid this? I've been rubbing my hands on the ground to get it off but it's a hassle.

Is bannock the same as damper?

Also would bannock and golden syrup be good? i can't afford to spend much on my outdoors time so bannock is mostly what i eat, i like to add brambles to it.

Finally what are the nutrients and calories in bannock? I assume it's mostly carbs?

I like bannock i sometimes have enough money to get beef for a stew and like to cove bannock balls in fat like my mum used to do and put thenm in the stew, it's really good :D

Thanks

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Mix your bannock inside a plastic bag - add the liquid, not much though, and knead it through the bag - then set it to cook (without the bag!)

or use slightly less liquid and knead the bannock a little more. Save some flour and use this to clean your hands up with.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Mix your bannock in a bag, half a log about 6" wide and a foot long, rub with oil, cook bannock on the log. Or fry some bacon in a pan, and cook the bacon in that fat. (has to be worth getting a pan dirty if you get to eat bacon!)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The old way to make pastry is to 'cut' the fat into the flour with a knife; it works with bannock too.
WW's plastic bag is a good idea though :D makes it easy to carry measured amounts all in one bag with no fuss.

cheers,
Toddy

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I usually over wet the flour so its a bit of a sloppy mess give it a good stir with spoon or stick then add more flour to bring it together, then get my hands in adding more flour until the dough is stretch. knead in it my hands usually takes any bits off and gets it into the mix. I do the same at home or in the woods. the only danger here is if you forget the extra flour or pour too much water and you dont have enough flour to bring it together.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
istvan was using some nice bright yellow marigold gloves down at northwood once to mix his bannock, very effective but we did take the mick a tad

stuart

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
istvan was using some nice bright yellow marigold gloves down at northwood once to mix his bannock, very effective but we did take the mick a tad

stuart
if you turn them inside out (when you've got bannock all over them), poke a hole in the end of each finger, and squeeze the bannock into some hot oil, you have bannock. noodles :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
mix it in a placcy bag, if you over wet it, cut the corner off the bag and use it like a piping bag to make pancakes instead

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The old way to make pastry is to 'cut' the fat into the flour with a knife; it works with bannock too.

I generally use a (old fashioned) carbon steel table knife with a nice springy, rounded end blade for that sort of thing. One of these would work very well too.

AndyE

Feb 9, 2011
Ireland
does that keep the bannock off or just make it taste slightly better when you lick your fingers clean afterwards? either way, good idea!

stuart

both .. :D

I knead it in a ziplock too , then rub some butter on my hands take the dough out of the bag and shape it in my hands ,,, it won't stick
Cooking oil works as well
Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I generally use a (old fashioned) carbon steel table knife with a nice springy, rounded end blade for that sort of thing. One of these would work very well too.

Me too :D they were (are) very good indeed those old knives; much better than modern ones. The little piece (sideplate) ones are in constant use in my house.

I like those spreaders though :cool:

A fork works very well in a crusader cup to rub (mix finely) fat into flour for bannocks too. Make a hollow in the centre of the flour mix and add in the liquid and just bring it all in bit by bit. Easy to see when it all comes away from the sides or needs a little more liquid, and a good way of breaking an egg into the flour and stirring in a bit of milk or water.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You don't really need to knead bannock just mix with a spoon and then one hand. The mucky hand will soon dry off and the mix will come off easily.

To be honest chaps looking through the cooking section its pretty easy to see those who don't cook much at home...tut, tut.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Are you using shortening in the mix? Butter or oil will stop it sticking to your hands. I forgot to add it one time...it was a nightmare and I won't forget again in a hurry! +1 for mixing in the bag too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE