Bannock Burning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Since I have been left all alone this weekend and have a knackered ankle and unable to go out, I have decided to do some cooking.
Bannock, to be exact.
Never made it, never tried it, but it looks damn simple, so I'm going to make some. Just one thing - do you use plain flour or self-raising?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Have a look at the tutorials on the sites' front page, for Hoodoos' bannock mix. The ingredients are fairly straight forward. Tips from Scruff where to use suet for shortening and stout instead of water to bind the ingredients. Cook it on a really low heat, and turn it now and then. Pop a lid over it if you can to get a mini oven on the go, or use your oven if you're at home! Most recipes call for plain flour used with baking powder.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Self raising flour is plain flour with baking powder. I have used both on occasions, it's good either way, bannock is not an exact thing, I just add whatever I've got that would go well in addition to flour and water. Things like butter, sugar, dried fruits, seeds, nuts, bacon, garlic, olive oil, herbs, chorizo, cured meats and dried milk can all go well in bannock, although probably not all at once.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My tip on using suet is to whiz it up in a blender - makes a lovely smooth mix and breaks down the suet lumps a bit. Works for me anyway.

I use a miz very similar to hoodoos and its a grand base. Never be frightened to experiment with making batters or adding fruit, cheese, cooked meat - pretty much anything.

Its all good

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use vegetarian suey (palm oil I am afraid...) which does not need refrigeration and it melts easily - I add powdered egg (from Tesco I am afraid...) as well.
Kind of cakey mix bannock....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE