Bank Holiday Weekend at Brockwell Woods - Blaydon Burn Farm - Photo Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
This weekend I went for a 3 night stay at Brockwell Woods on Blaydon Burn Farm in Gateshead and thought I would share my experience and some photo's of my weekend in the woods.

The weather started off with high winds and heavy rain! We were lucky enough to get pitch 7 which looked out onto the nearby field so we had a great pitch for the weekend.

imagejpg2_zpsd529b617.jpg

imagejpg8_zpsd5595606.jpg

So I was glad I went with the Hennessy hammock Explorer Deluxe with snake skins! The hammock was very easy to put up and it was up in a jiffy and it did not get wet! i think the Snake skins are a must for the UK and well worth the money! This was my first time using a hammock and I did make a school boy error by pitching it with the Zip facing the wrong way! However this was easily fixed by pulling the snakes skins back on and turning. I also now have a bright prusik knot on the head end so now know which side the Zip is. Total set up time for a hammock noob was no more than 5 mins! My mate struggled with his tent in the high winds and poles! (Smug chuckle chuckle to myself)

Then as soon as we were set up the wind disappeared, skies cleared and sun started to shine! Typical but we were not complaining!

imagejpg3_zpse3b4cc67.jpg

Time to explore and get some fire wood! Which was trickey seeing as we had just had torrential down pours! but was still a nice walk.

imagejpg15_zps6c9c5751.jpg

imagejpg16_zpsee2337dd.jpg

After some time we decided to go back for a cup of coffee and start the fire. Time to test my Vargo Hex wood stove and trangia combination. So easy and quick to setup and I had my brew going in no time. The fire was quick and simple I am afraid this time due to the evening drawing in. I had wanted to try a Bow Drill. Simply used some cotton balls in Vaseline to begin with with some feather sticks made by my new Mark Hill knife! Very impressive blade and highly recommend Marks work!

imagejpg18_zps5f210987.jpg

imagejpg9_zps18d8762b.jpg

Fire was going strong and now time for some bigger logs and fire reflector - which was work in progress! Then time for Tea.

imagejpg17_zps4aaf8a45.jpg

imagejpg11_zps1a81aabd.jpg

imagejpg12_zps1da583ea.jpg

Chilli Con Carne was pretty good actually! I know its not very bushcraft but good all the same.

The next morning the sun was shining! I am now converted to a hammock camper! what a revolution! such a comfy night and woke up to this view outside my hammock! cant beat waking up to a view like this.

imagejpg13_zps09d1096f.jpg

imagejpg14_zps305ac3d2.jpg

The day went by mainly collecting more firewood and messing on around camp! We bought some burgers and sausages from the farm for £6 per pack for 6 burgers and 8 sausages! the meat was fantastic and very tasty! I would recommend you get some if you go! So ended the trip with a nice BBQ and a couple of bottles of Cider (that was disposed of correctly by taking it away with me unlike some that have stayed there over the summer!)

imagejpg21_zps29e06552.jpg

imagejpg22_zpsc4473d85.jpg

imagejpg23_zps32f94135.jpg

imagejpg10_zps807ecd86.jpg

All in all it was a great couple of days testing new gear and enjoying being outside! plan on going back again very soon! the owners are great and really friendly and welcome bushcrafter's alike. If you're in the north east or not too far away I would recommend a visit to Blaydon Burn Farm.

Hope you liked the pics

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE