Bang : How do stinging nettles sting ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aw, sorry Biker :sigh:
You'll just need to mind and have a look next time your in Blighty :)

forestwalker it's an A4 sheet of rubbery fridge magnets with all of the basic gene thingies on it. Mix and match Frankenstein :D Link is on the page to the OU.

atb,
Toddy

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Thanks for the link.
Just be thankful we dont have these in the UK. Apparently it hurts and lasts so long, because it opens your central nervous system to the outside world.....ouch!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
"Not available in your area."

Bloody typical, but not surprised.

So how do they sting then? Little genomes armed with bayonets dipped in itching solution perhaps?

Not available in my area either, from what I've always understood, the tip of the hairs break off & inject formic acid (same stuff the the ants use )

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Not available in my area either :(

Got this from Answers.com

The stinging structure of the nettle is very similar to the hypodermic needle although it predates that man-made invention by millions of years! Each sting is actually a hollow hair stiffened by silica with a swollen base that contains the venom. The tip of this hair is very brittle and when brushed against, no matter how lightly, it breaks off exposing a sharp point that penetrates the skin and delivers its stinging payload.

It used to be thought that the main constituent of the sting was formic acid - the same chemical used by ants, giving that never forgotten burning sensation that demands to be scratched. Although formic acid is present in the sting, recent research has shown that the main chemicals are histamine, acetylcholine and 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin). A fourth ingredient has yet to be identified.

Does this match what's in the BBC segment?

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I've never used a dock leaf, I just whimper, had loads of nettles where we last lived, most everyday or evening I'd be covered in that blister rash.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know what gets me ? All those big brave folks boldly grasping the nettle :rolleyes: Damn things hurt and sore hands limit every job you do until it settles. Find a big leaf, a bit of cloth or wear gloves.
Not into masochism.

That said, when the arthritis is really, really bad, I'll deliberately sting myself. Somehow it gives enough of something for the body to attack that rather than my joints :sigh:

Useful plant too, everything from dinner, to seasoning, to fibres, to colour :D Good to fatten up hens too I'm told :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE