ban on 10+ year old cars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
though you all may what to know what the e.u is planning for own older cars, got the info from another forum i go on

It seems there are proposals within the European community to ban the use of cars over 10 years old !

There is also a petition on the 'No 10' website asking the Prime Minister to reject these proposals .

Let's all sign it and urge Tony to do one decent thing before he leaves .

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/classic-cars

Oh , and apparently Edinburgh City Council are trying to ban cars over fifteen years old from 'their' roads !!! I thought they kicked David Begg out years ago and that Aberdeen got rid of him not long after .

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Are you sure about this? 'Cos I can't find anything more reliable than a couple of forum posts and the petition... Sure it's not one of those "the UN are coming in black helicopters to take your guns" scares?

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
There have been european proposals for this for a couple of years..

In some ways I think this is a good idea - but in others I think it's very bad..

Good, because it limits the cars to current technology - you'd effectivly (sp) have all cars using cat's, modern fuel ignition systems, DPF, etc.etc.

Bad, because you'd basically force everyone to buy a new car - and you'd kill the classic car market overnight..

I can't see how they could legistate for this - you'd have to have classic car owners exempt but normal people not?? As usual it's probally un-practical.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
this is off the web site in the link

"Several EU proposals across the years are dangerous to the classic car movement. One that has been under consideration is to ban the use of cars older than 10 years. Similarly, Edinburgh City Council is considering the banning of cars over 15 years old from the town centre. These, and similar, proposals directly threaten the classic car movement, and encourage the manufacture of new cars, with the attendent environmental issues of sourcing raw materials, manufacturing, distriuting and scrapping the spiralling supply of new vehicles."

but i've just contacted the E.U contact center and there no info there on it , so i'm going to contact the above site to see where they go this information

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
anthonyyy said:
The chances of such a proposal being adapted are miniscule.
like they are saying on the merc 190 forum i'm on, most of the M.P's have classic cars so they would need to get rid too, so i think your right on that one

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Again, if Edinburgh City Council really are talking about banning cars over 15 years old (and I can't imagine how that would work in practice) then they must be talking about it very, very quietly... I'm in Edinburgh, I'm on all the Green party mailing lists, and I've never heard anything about it. There is no mention of this idea whatsoever (that I can find, anyway) outside the various forums howling about it.

If anybody can find a reliable source for this story, I'd be very interested... Personally, I'm currently suspecting that it's somebody's idea of a publicity drive.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
No doubt it will not effect the wealthy too much,just the poor as is the norm,they will be priced off the road soon enough.Its a long term plan.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I am for some sort of progressive road pricing, but banning older cars is just stupid. The amount of energy (and so pollution) it takes to make a new car is immense.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
That does sound a bit loopy. I can't drive and am not a great fan of cars but
if it did turn out to be remotely true I'd sign against it. It sounds like the sort
of thing Jeremy Clarkson might have a bit of fun with on Top Gear.

I'm with Dave K on this one.

EdS

it was orginally instigated by the car industry.

It is not possible to do:

a) the environmental cost of replacing all the cars. Most use more energy and resouces in manufacture than in the fuel they use during their life.

b) what would they do with all the scrapped cars.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
As a mechanic... I'd love to see old cars scrapped. They're a pain to work on, just because almost everything is rusted to the underworld and back... But that wouldn't be a problem if companies just started making cars well.

If it's true, it's daft as.

I'm not going to comment much, as I don't want to see a political flame going on...

But in a few years, I'm buying my 1972 Ford Capri and hotrodding it nonetheless.

I could, however, understand tightening up some of the regs on cars - ie, making ECU controlled Fuel Injection a requirement (as big a fan as I am of carburetters, they're not the most environmentally friendly system).

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy to see private transport scrapped in all cases where it isn't a real requirement (like for farming) but right now the public transport system is ********. And of course I'd be out of a job.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its not happening, can you imagine it getting through the houses of parlament with their love of classic cars?

Nope, no way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE