Bamboo socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What is the most common Welsh sheep then Harvetsman? Cumbria has the Herdwick and the swaledale too IIRC due to their truly tough character. Snowdonia is just as wet and wild so is there a sheep type for that area. The Plynlimon area is also pretty tough.

I'm no expert, but in mountain areas there are two breeds of Welsh Mountain Sheep - one for North Wales, and one for South. The North Wales one has horns, which the southern one doesn't usually. I know each area has a local breed, such as the Hill Radnor. In my area I see a lot of what my farming friend, who is a member of the Rare Breeds Society, calls Tor Ddu and Tor Wen, which is to say, white-bellied black sheep, and Black-bellied white sheep.

At the smallholders show last weekend there were huge numbers of different varieties, ranging from small and hardy to absolutely massive! Wool is a big topic if you really get into it. Have a look here for more info about British sheep.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I agree that bamboo garments are comfy but take ages to dry, and so not suitable for multi-day wet trips, and best for mooching around a cold house under your normal wear. I also find the manufacturing info stated above pretty concerning.

Unlike many, I also find merino slow drying and slightly uncomfortable even in very fine grades, and have concluded that you can't beat a really good synthetic wicking tee. Properly treated and re-treated they stay odour free for as long as you need. I find Lowe Dry Flo the best.

In fact I am on a back-to-synthetic kick. I reckon a fleece (Karisma/Ultrafleece) is the best invention ever, doesn't melt by a fire if you are careful, and I have never melted goretex gear by a fire either!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2006
Otley
Bamboo is biggest con going. Far worse than cotton for any serious outdoor activity 'cos it soaks up wet like sponge and then takes a long long time to dry - so potentially dangerous if weather turns bad. Use some commonsense - how can any fabric recommended for babies diapers, bathrobes, towels etc. be any possible good for outdoor gear? No real evidence that its anti-microbial - just say-so of manufacturers. That goes for all the other claims about it - US FDC ruled it was illegal to make them.

I use merino socks - they don't stink - can wear them for days before they need a wash. The length of time it takes them to dry depends on thickness.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Bamboo is biggest con going. Far worse than cotton for any serious outdoor activity 'cos it soaks up wet like sponge and then takes a long long time to dry - so potentially dangerous if weather turns bad. Use some commonsense - how can any fabric recommended for babies diapers, bathrobes, towels etc. be any possible good for outdoor gear? No real evidence that its anti-microbial - just say-so of manufacturers. That goes for all the other claims about it - US FDC ruled it was illegal to make them.

I use merino socks - they don't stink - can wear them for days before they need a wash. The length of time it takes them to dry depends on thickness.

The only evidence I have for its anti-stink properties is that of hard personal use and I can vouch for it being as good as merino for resisting odours.

D

dhutch

I came on here for another reason, but Ive got a set of from tescos fore daily wear because there where no cotton socks and I had seen them before and I must say im going to buck the trend and say I really dont like them. There just not that comfortable and instead feel slippy/plasticy/thin/cold etc. Ive not tried them wet where they might be warmer than cotton, but really, feel a bit had.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have bamboo socks and baselayer and find them comfortable and warm and odour resistant.
I have no issues with drying times as I find them comfortable and warm even when slightly damp :)
My favourite fabric for socks, thermals and mid layer has to be Merino which when all factors including eco/sustainability etc are taken into account seems to tick all the boxes for me.
I try to avoid petrochemical synthetics these days and have made a lot of my favourite outdoor clothing myself from up-cycled charity shop finds such as a Merino shirt and a Merino Gilet from a Barnardos double bed blanket!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I only wear bamboo for everyday use. I have found the quality varies greatly. Unfortunately I haven't taken much notice of manufacturers or country of origin. I did find the Tesco ones terrible. I have had some great ones from TK and also some awful ones. In my experience the cheaper you go the poorer the quality. The best pairs I have bought can be found here.

http://www.sativabags.com/online_store/braintree-mens-striped-bamboo-sock-mango.cfm

They also do some top quality hemp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE