Bridgedale "Bamboo" Socks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
BRIDGEDALE “BAMBOO “SOCKS

23shm3a.jpg

I have recently been given the opportunity to try out a range of Bamboo socks from Bridgedale.

Bridgedale (the leading makers in technical outdoor socks) have partnered up with Booshoot Gardens “Plant a Boo” campaign to produce this eco-friendly sock.

After years of development they have come up with a sock that is made from a breathable, anti-microbal bamboo mix yarn which is not dyed and is from a sustainable source.

As I am on my feet all day and do a lot of walking I thought it would be interesting to see how these socks were any different to the run of the mill type I normally ware.

SPECS/FEATURES:

1. Double cuff, full length
2. Lightweight breathable mesh
3. Dense cushioning underfoot

FIBRE CONTENT:

35% Bamboo
34% Coolmax®/polyester
30% Nylon/polyamide
1% Lycra®/elastane

These socks are midweight rated.

The wool fusion technology combines high quality natural yarns (in the case of these socks it is the bamboo yarn) then fuses them with a high performance microfiber (Coolmax). The resulting mix provides warmth, comfort and wicks any excess moisture away from the foot.

Now anybody who is on their feet for long periods of time knows that at the end of the day your feet can ache and be sweaty and anything that reduces these factors are a positive.
As you can see from the diagram below these socks have specific points in which help to give more support and comfort.

8ziqes.jpg

After walking all day I was pleasantly surprised at how well these socks performed. Even with a good pair of boots normally on the way back from a hike I would start to feel that the back of my heels were rubbed and had a general ache all over especially if I was pressing hard to get back. This time out however I didn’t have the same trouble and I was still pretty comfortable when I took my boots of.

I think that because the sling shot Lycra in the heel creates a better fit you don’t have the same friction as you would normally and also I did feel that it supported my whole ankle certainly making it more comfortable to walk.

This brings me to the next problem I normally have. A good days walking always leaves me with damp feet and when the boots come off the socks are normally wet.
My feet this time were perfectly dry and the socks themselves only felt slightly damp on the outside.

During the hike my feet felt constantly cool instead of being hot as they normally are. On the other hand they also keep your feet warm when it’s cold and would also be at home as a pair of bed socks or just for wearing around the house as I found out.

After I had tried them out and they came out of the wash a couple of times I looked to see for any signs of stretching/shrinking or bobbling and was happy to find that they fitted just as comfortably as they did when I first took them out of the pack. They had a little bit of fluffing and bobbling on the sole but no more than the average pair of hiking socks does.

As the shape of men and women’s feet are different, Bridgedale have created gender-specific socks to accommodate this, so everybody can find the right pair to suit them.

I would definitely recommend these socks to anybody as not only do they feel soft, comfortable, and warm and help in keeping your feet dry but they are also made from a renewable source. Even the packaging is 100% recycled.

The price was comparable to the average medium weight hiking/walking socks.

For more information on Bridgedale products:
www.bridgedale.com

For more information on the Booshoot campaign and products:
www.booshoot.com

CBJ

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good review CBJ

I'm a big fan of Bridgedale socks having worn them for many years. I'll keep an eye out for these aswell.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE