Bamboo "Bundle" Bows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A number of people have taken an interest in my bamboo bow, there was even a thread about them a while back. I got the idea from Tim Baker's writing in Chapter 2, Volume 1, of The Traditional Bowyer's Bible where he says that any collection of reasonably flexible twigs will do, and includes a picture of a beautiful bow made of old arrows, complete with points and feathers, to prove the point! :lmao:

So, there are a lot of ways this sort of bow can be made. This is just the way that I have done it.

I like using bamboo that is about 1/2 inch diameter. It is easier to find the right size cane in 8 foot lengths than it is in 6 foot lengths. The bundles of six foot stuff sold in garden centres tends to have a lot of really weedy canes mixed in. You can use thin canes, but you have to use more of them, and be smart about how you lash them.

The recipe is pretty easy. You want about five canes, the longest section doesn't need to be more than 6 feet. Check that it doesn't have cracks or holes, and is well seasoned. If it is still a little green it really needs to be baked a bit in the sun to turn it yellow/gold. There is a lot of info on the Web about seasoning and tempering bamboo. You might want to give it a try. The problem with tempering bamboo in the round is that it tends to split, it also seems to run counter to the idea of keeping the bow simple.

It is quite possible to cut this size bamboo with a knife, no saws needed.
BundlebowCutting.jpg
If you use a saw, make sure it has fine teeth, hacksaws work well. Use a knife or file to bevel the cut edges so that they don't make splinters.

There are two ways of laying out the canes. Either have one 6', one 5', one 4" and one 2", lash together every 6 inches, alternate the thick and thin ends from one end of the bow to the other, you don't want all the thickest ends of the canes all in one bow limb.

The other way is basically the same, except that you use two 5'6" canes and stagger them so that the thin ends make the limb tips, one each limb, This is instead of using a 6' and a 5' cane.

I have heard you can use gaffer tape instead of cord to bind the bow together. I have used regular packaging string from WH Smiths.

The lashing is started with a Constrictor Knot. Then carry on with a simple, but tight whipping.

BundlebowKnot1.jpg

It is important to have sufficient width of lashing. If you were to just bind with a series of really tight constrictor knots the load under the knots will cause the bamboo to fail, this is especially true of the first lashing at the tips. This is where the greatest change in stresses occur.

To finish the whipping I tend to make some Frapping turns, making use of the gaps between the cane to get the string around.

You want to be lashing from the tips of the bow towards the middle. Lashings to bind every cane that will make the bow at that point, you don't want to be laying canes over previous lashings.

If too many canes are used in the grip area you make the arrow do a lot of work to bend round the bow. Better to keep it as slim as possible.

Nocks for a string are a bit of a pain in thin bamboo. Best bet is to take thin cord and make wrap-on nocks soaked with glue. Bamboo is slippery and its hard to make lashings stay put. If you cut into the can it will break, so tie on nocks seem the only way. You could drill horn or wood over nocks as used on long bows, but again that is more complicated.
BundlebowNocks.jpg

The bent bow is one I finished earlier. I wanted to post and the glue on the nocks on the newest bow weren't dry :rolleyes:
BundlebowFinish.jpg
The pictured bow pulled 47lb when brand new, that will fall a bit, but with string follow (permantent C shaped set in the direction that it is strung) staying less than 2 inches, it shouldn't lose too much.

Thanks for staying with me this far :You_Rock_

Last edited:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
That' a really nice clear tutorial Chris, thanks.

I noticed that the field archery club that I joined a few months ago also has one of these hanging up in the caravan. It gets taken down quite regularly for people to play with and - like your own - most certainly works.

Cheers :biggthump

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Chris, did you have to readjust any of the canes to adjust the tiller, or did the bow come out perfectly without doing any readjustments ?
Nice tutorial by the way :biggthump

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent stuff Chris :You_Rock_ These bows are excellent, I had a go of Chris's at the Gathering and it's surprisingly accurate. Cheap, easy and can be made to suit all shapes and sizes, fantastic stuff :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Fantastic post Chris! :You_Rock_ :biggthump I really must have a go at making one of those! :super: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Thanks for all the nice things people have said. :roll: :redface: I hope that someone gets some use out of it!

I suppose that if the tiller were off a bit (tiller=bow curvature, a bit off=one limb stronger than the other, or part of a limb that bends unevenly) you could add or remove some cane, or step up or down a size on its diameter. I haven't had to yet, but I reckon that I have just been lucky. I am pretty sure that it would work.

I reckon that about the most important lashings are the ones nearest the tips, if any lashing is going to try to slip around it'll be those ones.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Excellent tutorial I was finding it hard to picture how you could make the bow and you have answered it so clearly even I could make.

One question whats the bow string?

James :You_Rock_

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
alick said:
That' a really nice clear tutorial Chris, thanks.

I noticed that the field archery club that I joined a few months ago also has one of these hanging up in the caravan. It gets taken down quite regularly for people to play with and - like your own - most certainly works.

Cheers :biggthump

Chris, I know only a little about bow-making, but a bit more about fly fishing rods. The bamboo used for fly rods is called Tonkin bamboo (cane) (Arundinaria amabilis). The built 'cane' fly rod construction harnesses the natural tensile strength of the outer 'enamel' skin of the bamboo with the compressive strength of the inner fibres.

If you do a search using the words 'fly rod' 'bamboo' 'Tonkin', I'm sure you would turn up some stuff of interest to a bow maker.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE