Balquidder cave and Loch Earnhead wonder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Two days off work and the sun is shinning, that does'nt happen very often.
So decided to make the most of it and try and find another one of the Rob Roy caves. The one I was after is in Balquidder as I had previously found the one at Loch Ard a few years back

DSCF0353.JPG

A good marker point to note at the start of the walk, just in case you follow the wrong burn up the hill :)

DSCF0352.JPG

The one and only marker, this way!

DSCF0350.JPG

Trying out the panoramic feature on my Christmas present, a Fuji FinePix SL300

DSCF0258.JPG

some pics on the way up

DSCF0260.JPG

DSCF0344.JPG

DSCF0270.JPG

Mr Fox??

DSCF0275.JPG

At this point I was beginning to doubt I followed the right burn up the hill. So I stopped for a break, checked my map and took some pics. Worst case scenario back down again find the last burn and follow it back up :(. So I decided to head up further.

DSCF0278.JPG

DSCF0281.JPG

DSCF0287.JPG

And the conclusion? Over the bump I was sitting on I spotted it, the entrance behind the waterfall :lmao:

DSCF0289.JPG

The leap into the cave was very slippy with a bit of a drop not recommended doing it solo in these conditions.
Some pics from inside the cave

DSCF0291.JPG

There is 2 sections to the cave in a kind of "Y" formation each going back maybe 2-3 meters

DSCF0292.JPG

DSCF0298.JPG

DSCF0303.JPG

The entrance under the waterfall, not to easy to spot

DSCF0306.JPG

This might be a good time to explain I had waterproof trousers but I left them in my car. good job I was wearing a pair of quick drying trousers

DSCF0307.JPG

Why does the sheep look worried :confused:

DSCF0315.JPG

DSCF0320.JPG

Still the odd patch of snow on the hills but it was actually quite warm I was down to my t-shirt up here (and trousers back on)

DSCF0323.JPG

DSCF0327.JPG

Back down at the shores of Loch Voil a nice mist and a thin crust of ice on the water making it look nice and fresh

DSCF0354.JPG

DSCF0362.JPG

DSCF0364.JPG

DSCF0366.JPG

Then I spotted nessies wee cousin?

DSCF0374.JPG

Time for a wee brew before I head off

20130218_140306.jpg

After leaving Loch Voil a headed to Loch Earn to scout out some potential camping / fishing spots. As I was wallking over a hill my heart jumped as I saw a hairy beast passing in front of me, bloody goats! Now these were free to roam about the hills not in a fenced off area, escapees maybe?

DSCF0402.JPG

A ready made shelter anyone? This must be the first I have came across which has been dry at the base

DSCF0403.JPG

Previously in this area I have came across deer, pheasant and even a dead Scottish wild cat but never 5 goats!

DSCF0406.JPG

A self portrait further up the hill

DSCF0413.JPG

Came across 2 sites like this on the way back down, fox maybe?

DSCF0418.JPG

DSCF0422.JPG

View from potential camp spot

DSCF0424.JPG

A farewell from Loch Earn

DSCF0425.JPG

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Stu, I love the area around there, I've done quite a bit of walking around those parts in the last few years.

Thanks for sharing

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I had five minutes for my break today and spent it on this. Thanks very much man. :)

Your welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. My tea time breaks used to be spent the same way. I love reading other peoples trip reports I always end up planning my next trip straight after

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Oh wow! Must look this place up would love to go but no way do I do your leap into the cave much as I would love to.

It was a nice walk especially with the weather as it was. It was just a bit slippery going in and couldn't see into the cave that well, plus the fact I was trying to limit the amount of time in the water due to leaving my water proofs in the car :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE