Balance or your bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
RovingArcher said:
For an all around outdoors knife, I prefer it to balance close behind the blade.
I have to agree there. But for me it's most important on choppers. :wave:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I think you meant "Balance on your bushcraft knife" on your title, instead you wrote "Balance or your bushcraft knife", making it into a rather unusual request by a highwayman :rolmao:

I too like it just behind the blade - where else would we have it? :?:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Generally I'd just say I don't like a knife to be blade heavy. On smaller knives I can't remember when this was last an issue. On one where it really matters, the monster BRKT Evo1, the balance is spot on - front edge of the handle - making the knife really nice to use.

I'm scared of kukri's (haven't learn't to use them safely) but I'm up for a billhook :eek:):

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
arctic hobo said:
I think you meant "Balance on your bushcraft knife" on your title, instead you wrote "Balance or your bushcraft knife", making it into a rather unusual request by a highwayman :rolmao:
That made me chuckle! :rolmao: :biggthump

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I like to have the balance right on my first finger for general work, if I can only have one balance point :wink:

I have a couple of knives with large brass guards, in a normal grip they balance forward of the first finger, due in part to the heavy guard. They also have wide ricassos, about 3/4" which alows the index finger to go forward of the guard. Now the balance is in the hand. That is a versatility I really like.

Mar 7, 2004
Chris

These are related questions for me as well. If the knife is a small one (3"-5") and it has a guard it MUST have a ricasso wide enough for me to choke up on (and a guard comfortable enough to do it) then I prefer the balance point at the front edge of the index finger, if the edge comes almost to the hilt then I like the balance at the BACK of the index finger or between the index and middle fingers.

Web(large knives are a whole different thing)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE