bakestone woes : (

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
We have just come back from 2 and a half weeks in a old Welsh cottage where I did a large part of the cooking on the hearth using the crane built into it. Unfortunately the owners (the inlaws) had built the fireplace up from the original floor level so i had to use the size of the fire rather than the adjustable crane to regulate the heat. For scale the Aussie bush Oven on the left is 15" diameter.

AAHearth.jpg

First off using the bakestone (cheers Toddy!) was Whelsh cakes, then unleavedned bakestone bread made with bicarbanate of soda then Light cakes which are a lot like drop scones but with buttermilk in the mix. Tescos now sells the stuff as i used to have a real bugger of a time finding it. I am constantly suprised about how little a bed of embers you need to cook on.

AAWhelshCakes.jpg

I also did the eternal bannock on it but to be honest we much prefer it done in the Aussie Camp ovens which the way I use them mainly cook from the top so are easier to spot any burning.

AABannock.jpg

We much prefere the almond and mixed fruit damper i made several times at the kids request, often in the ashes of the fires we had outside every other night, which was all the weather permitted.

AADamper.jpg

We also used the hearth for frying on my comedy sized Aussie camp frying pan. You had to be very careful not to get it too hot but I managed not to burn owt this time, saying that i'm of the Sam Vimes persuasion when it comes to crispyness! .

AABacon.jpg

We visited St Fagans a couple of times (more on that elsewhere) and had a good look at all the European primitive cooking set ups there, A fantastic place to visit if you get a chance.

ATB

Tom

PS the big cooking shop come hardware shop in Crickowel, Webs i think ts called, was selling off bakestones for 15 quid each, the sort with the cut out handle.

This booklet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Welsh-Bakestone-Cookery-Traditional/dp/0862431395

is in most gift shops down there and is great!

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Definately thinking of getting a crane fitted at home. its 18th C place but has been messed about with since then so when we got it there was a tiny parkray affair in the main downstairs room. When they ripped it out and all the associated filling in there was quite a big hole left so we had a big fire place put in, not as deep as I'd have liked but the builder had trouble grasping what we wanted at times. I cant afford to have it redone and it does look good so we will work around it.

Aye I fell right off my diet, baking most days and stuffing it down and now I need to really get my blood sugar down before i get shouted at!

ATB

Tom

PS since taken a wire brush on a drill to the rusty patches on the Aussie camp oven.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE