Baker tent

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Will do Bernie I think Eric has made one but cant find the info. Be a nice addition to kit for the winter as I've got loads of free canvas.
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Will let you know what I dig up forest fella...had a look on Eric's site and sure it was there but cant find it.......I will drop him a pm.
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Been digging and a phone call later ( ta Stu ) getting somewhere. Now I want to know about the forester tent!!
Any ideas on that one?
Sounds similar but easier to erect?!
D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
baker-tent.jpg

baker-tent2.jpg

Easy enough to make. Give us a shout if you get stuck.

Eric

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I think there is plan in the canoe camping book by Bill Mason, have a word with Firebreather on here hes just starting to make one himself. good luck

Singeblister is right I (Well swmbo will be doing most of it as I cannot sew) am about to make one. I am going to pick up the canvas today and we will be using the plans in Bill mason's book Song of the paddle. In there he has 2 different sizes of baker tent and we will be making the small one first to see if we like it. then possibly the larger one at a later date.
I will try and get some piccys up of how we make it and any problems we encountered along the way.
Cheers Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
It is made now, we ( read Lin ) just have to put the finishing touches to it. It will be out for its first tesing at middlemud 3 Vertical smoke If anybody wants to wander over and have a look.
In the end we made a modified slighty larger version of Bill Mason's mini baker tent. We made it slightly larger but used the plans in his book "song of the paddle". Its a great book with loads of info about the tents.
Unfortunatly as Lin is so fast when she works I didnt get any piccys of it being put together but I will get some posted up when we go to middlemud 3 and ask Lin to answer any questions you guys have. She is a member on here but never logs on as i tell her everything anyway.

Cheers Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I didnt get any decent piccys of the Baker tent up at Middlewood. Sorry. Its a great tent all i need to do now is test it in the rain. As far as the cold, we had a small wood fire in the porch area of the tent and it made the tent all toasty but very smokey due to the wood we was useing.

Hopefully somebody will be along who had a decent camera with them at middlewood and they can post some piccys of it.

Cheers Greg

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just digging this thread up again....still trying to find details on the forrester tent before I commit to making the baker tent....just the idea of a single pole (Or less poles) would suit my needs better. Any ideas anyone.
How did you get on with sewing the canvas?
Ordinary sewing machine with leather needles?
Is the sotp design smaller than Eric's?
Need to get some better weather in order to lay the canvas outside to see how much I have got.
Ta Dave

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Here's a web site with a couple options for tents - mostly associated with the Boy Scouts.

http://www.hufsoft.com/bsa51/page0002.html

I've sewn up around 6 tents over the past couple years with my simple home portable sewing machine. I use a heavy duty #18 Singer needle with cotton wrapped polyester thread. Having a large area to spread everything out for layout is good, but not really necessary. Making a detailed to-scale drawing or model also helps.

The "forester" style tent is an interesting design. But is has one ... drawback ... that many tents do - that long sloping side. You can't use a bunch of the "footprint" of the tent because the that sloping wall of the tent.

The simplest style tent that I use is called the Diamond Shelter, or Plow Point tent. It is a square tarp. You stake down one corner for the back. The opposite corner is tied to one pole, and then staked down tight with a rope. The other two corners are then staked down tight to form the "diamond". A "prop pole" is then pushed up in the center to give you your head room inside. Some tie a loop/rope to the center and tie it up to a branch/tree to pull up the center instead of using a prop pole.

If you add two triangular panels to the front, it then closes off the Diamond Shelter for privacy and a little more weather protection. And that starts to get it to more resemble that Forester tent.

Hope that helps.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks Mike some ideas to play around with. I think I have got what you mean but will draw it out...D
After playing with a hankie you got any pic's Mike?!
D

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Ours was made from cotton canvas tent material that was sold to me as waterproof and rot proof already. I got it from an end roll at a tent manufacturers but it was not cheap. There are a variety of ways to waterproof a tent but the hard bit is making waterproof seams as they are generally the weak point on any tent.
This stuff should help waterproof a tent but as I have not tried it on anything i can only take the manufacturers word for it at the moment.

http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/grangers-waterproofing-fabsil-uv-protection-1-litre-3294-p.asp

We are trying to source a regular supplier so we can start making these and a few other traditional tent styles as we have got the tent making bug now.

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE