BAHCO Bowsaw / Bow saw for the price of a blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
After viewing a few postings a little while ago from I'm not sure but I think it was Shotgun or Bulldog (but I'm probably wrong and I can't find the thread - Found it - it's Biker thanks for the inspiration shame my joinery skills can't match yours) around making an elegant but simple home made bow saw I finally had chance to play yesterday and came up with this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jules--c/

The only things to be aware of are:-

1 - The angle between the hinge joint and the long back/long piece of wood needs to be less than 90' degrees to pull in towards it in the direction you want.

2 - The hings does need to allow some movement forwards and backwards movement but less side to side than I created.

3 - I cable tied the end of the wood as the screws I had were too large and split the wood.

4 - I hold the para-cord at the same time as the handle (similar to squeezing the two when bow-drilling). this increases the tension the blade is under.

5 - Please critique and improve I'm now on to MKII with added wisdom from Mk1.

6 - I used the 21" blade from Axminster (I guess there are other sources but it was part of another order).

Enjoy, I hope this is useful and I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with to improve on the "Stig of the Dump" solution I made.

Jules

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE