Bag for Bimbles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
What do you take your kit in for day jaunts (and why)?

Day sack?
PLCE yoke and pouches?
Bum Bag?
Jacket with 1000 pockets?
Indianna Jones type bag?

I have tried all of them and still havn't decided which I prefer

D

Deleted member 4605

Depends on what I'm doing - I always have lots of pockets with various bits of kit in. Otherwise I generally have either my Regatta 25L back pack or an satchel type bag.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Generally if out for a longish walk, I'll take an old Karrimor daysack. This is so that I can carry water bottle, stove, brew kit, Billy, small FAK etc.

My hat, gloves and camera live in the pockets of my smock (which is Ventile so I don't bother with a waterproof). My pouch carries SAK, few plasters, monocular, firelighting stuff and quite a few other small and generally useful items.

Result is, unless I'm going for a long walk, its coat and pouch. The rucksack stays packed and is added for when I'm out beyond a few hours

Red

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I take a small 20 lite day pack containing sit mat, poncho, sarnies, flask, maybe trangia and grub and an Indiana Jones type shoulder bag (actually a German Army repirator bag) containing tools such as folding saw, crook knife, camera, tinder etc.
Pablo

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I tend to use my Sabre 45 without the pouches when I'm out. Its very comfortable and has plenty of room for the FAK, waterproofs, stove, cup, food, knife etc. Since I'm often taking groups out I usually have spare hat & gloves in case someone forgets theirs. I have been accused of being a walkers charity shop on legs! :lmao:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If it's just for a bimble I'll usually stuff a few bits and bobs in an old small ex-army webbing haversack that I fitted with a 3" webbing belt to make it into a shoulder bag. If I'm out for the day, cooking lunch and making a brew I usually take my "day bag" which is a 45 litre (I think) pack that I stuff full of all sorts of c**p that I'll probably not use and all adds weight, as well as lunch and brew kit. I figure that extra effort to carry it all is good excercise if nothing else. :)

B

bushyboo

Hi if its just a day out walking for the day i usualy take my 58 webbing without the back pack
i can usualy fit everthing in the pouches - knife, folding saw, small woodbuning stove and mess tins ( i like a cuppa and somthing hot to eat) poncho, water bottle, tinder,a small maglight and other bits and bobs

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I got a green cotton (heavy duty stuff) haversack from an army surplus store. It's my main walking pack/possibles bag.
Unfortunately my sister saw it and decided she "needed" one for a grungy handbag!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just carry a daysack not any one in particular(I have six!) just the one nearest to hand.

It is just filled with the usual stuff, waterproof Jacket, a flask of hot stuff, a 2lt btl or camel bag of water, food, and anything special I may want for the particular day trip.

Sometimes (most times!) I just go out in my jacket of a thousand pockets as it was elegantly put!:)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I use an old, battered day sack for trips out simply because I don't much like having pockets stuffed with bits and pieces or wearing too many clothes. It's a 38 litre job (I think!) which you can cinch down to a really small size using the compression straps. When it's expanded, it does for a summer's overnight trip.

For more extended trips - including long days out or winter mountain days - where a green rucksack is useful (the little one isn't), I use a Kifaru Zulu - bloomin' expensive but a great piece of kit.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
For a walk in the woods - an S10 respirator bag.

This is plenty big enough to carry everything I need including a small stove (crusader or meths), bins, water, lunch and field guides.

David

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
For a stroll in the woods, just a knife in my pocket. If I'm out for a while then I'll take my indiana bag; plenty of room for tinder pouch, monocular, FAK, Silky Pocketboy 170 saw, water bottle, lunch plus a few other gadgets :D

Anything more than that and it's my Karrimor Delta.

I'm interested in something in between (t'other thread ) so will keep an eye on this thread :)

Patrick

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
I take a Sleeka force 35 by Snugpak.

It seems to shrink and grow as needed so when there's not a lot in it it looks like a small bag. I think it's the drawstrings on the side pockets with the drawstring on the main compartment they seem to scrunch the bag and not having zips means it's quiet. All in all the great daysack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE