Baffled by Ebay changes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are asking me for bank details as they say they are dealing with payments direct instead of through paypal

But I thought they owned paypal?

Anyone else asked this?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Be careful! I've been having loads of phone calls telling me my Amazon prime is about to be terminated unless I give them my card details so they can update my account. I dont have an account as I've never bought anything on Amazon or even Ebay, and they phoned on my landline anyway.
A few of my friends have been targeted too. I've had 3 calls in one day!
There are a lot of scams trying their luck at present due to people shopping online so much during xmas and lockdown.
I have no idea about this as I say I dont do online shopping, so have no experience. This is the main reason for me not to do it.
I'm sure that there is someone about who can give you more pertinent advice as to this though. Good luck sorting it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ebay are changing payments, so this is true. Its because they accept credit card payments from buyers too now so not just dealing with PayPal. That’s why they need your bank details to pay the money into your account. They can’t do that if buyers use credit card payment. It will take slightly longer for the payment to reach you, but on the plus side, with more payment options other than PayPal, there will be more people willing to use eBay again who didn’t want to deal with PayPal.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
On no account give your bank details to Ebay, if you pay via Paypal then you will be directed to them to log on and pay.
If you pay via credit card there is no need for them to know your bank account details, I mean if you go into a shop and buy something on your card the shop doesn't ask you for your bank account details.
It is probably a scam beware.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You maybe want to read my post guys. You have to give ebay your bank details if you want to get paid now. They aren’t going to transfer the funds to a PayPal account if the buyer pays by credit card. And if they did, you’d lose more money through extra fees twice over.

It’s not a scam, it’s due to ebay now accepting payment direct through credit card from buyers. You’ll still get people paying through PayPal which will go straight to your PayPal account as normal. But people buying your goods via credit card payments are collected by eBay and those have to be paid into a bank account.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I don't trust Ebay and especially Paypal anymore. Definitely never selling with them again or Using Paypal. I noticed buying that they also have google pay option.

Be careful tengu, although this maybe a genuine ebay thing changing, I am sure that lots of scammers will have jumped on this to get any info they can by any means they can.
Never Ever, use a link in an email to sign into anything. always visit the actual site and you should get an instant code sent to your phone to confirm its you or similar.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I don't know how old this info is but :

It's a few years ago now, they've seperated.

As I understand it, yes, eBay payments are changing but it's being phased in. Payments will go straight into your bank account when you've signed up for it.
I've not opted for it yet and I'm still using PayPal, as most people are using that method I've not had any issues.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Interesting thread, I gave up using ebay because of an unauthorised continuous payment instigated by a seller through paypal. Contacting paypal was less than satisfactory. With other payment methods it might be worth a revisit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like paypal.

I'm sorry to hear others have had real issues with them, but I can honestly say they've been excellent.
I use it frequently, and any time I have had a problem they have replied pdq and sorted things out very quickly too.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I’ve had the same experience as you Mary. PP have been great so far with me. And I’ve been using them for 18 years now as buyer and seller. I have heard some horror stories though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Something doesn’t seem quite right. I don’t mean about eBay asking for your details: I’ve no idea about that. But as for them switching over and “starting” to accept credit cards, that just defies my experience. I’ve bought items on eBay for over a decade now and my credit card is the only payment method I’ve ever used. I’ve never used PayPal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE