Badger rescue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
We are already interfering! We call it 'progress'. Transport, agriculture, energy, you name it. We have been interfering more and more, to the ever increasing detriment of our wildlife, for hundreds of years. I'm just trying to help some people who are trying to push the balance back a little way in favour of the wildlife.

That was exactly what I was trying to say. Nearly all land in Britain is managed for something. I also said I believed in doing things to help wildlife if there is a point to it. Just can't see the point in helping something thats doing well without help.

I read the bit about the release sites before posting but I stand by what I said. If badgers aren't present then why not? So they were at your site, they are not anymore. Why not? Maybe the habitat or food sources have changed and the change was not to their liking. If it is "persecution," which I don't think is nearly as bad as some would make out, then is it a good idea to release your beloved brocks where criminals were active?

Just seems to me people see a baby animal and automatically think it's an "orphan." How can you tell it's dam won't be back for it? I find leverets hiding in the tussocks, easy catchable, yet the doe hare keeps them apart and feeds them individually. Roe deer kids too, are left to their own while their mothers feed, watch a herd of cows and you will see the same thing. Calves hidden and lying quietly out of the way while cows feed. Even if it is an orphan how can you be sure it wouldn't look after itself? That is why I think on the whole it is best to leave badger cubs be.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Update:

I've just had an email from the Trust, saying that they haven't had so many badgers to look after this year as is usual so they have needed fewer release sites than they expected. They're putting the reduced stress on badger populations down to an abundance of worms, slugs and snails resulting from the exceptionally wet weather.

The plan now is to construct the artificial sett and install it during the winter months, with a view to using the site for next year's batch of orphans.

I'd like to thank everyone who has shown an interest in this little project and I'll come back to this thread when there's more news, which will likely not be until spring 2013.

In the meantime, to thank those who have offered support, the site is available for you to use if you wish, at no charge, by private arrangement with me.

Insect repellent is advised. :pokenest:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE