Badger rescue.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Recently I've been in touch with a group in the West Country called Secret World Wildlife Rescue. Amongst other things they care for orphaned badgers. The group forms the cubs into 'families' for release back into the wild. They are healthy when released, in particular they have been tested clear for TB.

http://www.secretworld.org

One of the difficulties is that there aren't enough sites for all the badgers that need to be re-released. Another is the threat of persecution from gangs who engage in illegal activities such as baiting. The proximity of known gangs might render a site unsuitable.

I contacted Secret World because I have access to land which may be suitable. The site consists of about 25 acres of woodland with a small fishing pond. The exact location cannot be made public because of the danger of persecution but I can say that it's east of the M1 and south of the Humber. Enquiries to assess the risks are ongoing.

As I understand it the routine for release of the cubs starts in early September with release into a relatively small (about 25 metres square) fenced enclosure containing an artificial sett. They are fed once per day for at least two weeks and then over about the next four to six weeks gradually weaned off the daily feed until they are able to feed themselves.

At this stage I am asking if we might have a large enough number of interested parties so that, for a period of about two months from early September to early November, at least one or two of those people can visit the site each day to check on the cubs and feed them. If it is possible to maintain a 24/7 presence on the site for some or even all of the period then so much the better. There will be no problem with camping. Fishing would be possible and so would shooting with suitable safeguards. Ground fires are not permitted because of the danger of setting fire to the ground in that part of the world, but well-controlled fire pits are acceptable.

There is mains water available on the site but no other facilities. The nearest village is about a mile from the site. Access from the nearest road is along about half a mile of green lane. The site is gated, and vehicles which can reach it can park out of sight within it.

To recap:

1. This is all still in the air and likely to remain so for at least some weeks.

2. The commitment can be as little as:
a. Go to the site, just once, on a date of your choosing in late summer to autumn 2012.
b. Throw some peanuts around.
c. Make a telephone call if there's a badger cub stuck in the fence. (It's an electric fence, similar to those used for livestock.)
d. Leave when you think you've seen enough of the badgers.

3. The location of the site must be kept secret.

If you're interested, please post a message in the thread. Please don't PM me at this stage as my inbox would probably fill up too quickly for me to cope with it.

19 May 2012 edit:

Public transport:

There is at least one bus service to the village nearby. Buses on that route are approximately hourly from about 7am to about 6:30pm except Sundays and bank holidays. There are buses direct to several major towns within a 25 mile radius of the site and there are also connecting services. In addition there are good rail services at the nearest town, a little over three miles from the site.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
unfortunatly i'm too far away to be of any help although i'd love to.

a big thumbs up for what you're doing though mate, well done indeed.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Bump.

Abnormal people welcome. :)

i'd absolutely love to be involved in this ged, just let me know what i can do to help

stuart

edited to add; i've only just noticed the date of the OP on this one, how on earth did i miss this for so long :confused:

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Bump.

Abnormal people welcome. :)

i'd absolutely love to be involved in this ged, just let me know what i can do to help

I'll be in touch privately, Stu.

edited to add; i've only just noticed the date of the OP on this one, how on earth did i miss this for so long :confused:

Well I only just invited abnormal people. :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Update:

The people from the Trust met me at the site this week. They surveyed the site and the surrounding area, and a synopsis of results follows:

1. From the point of view of constructing an artificial sett, the site itself is as good as anything they've ever seen and a suitable location within the site has been identified.

2. From the point of view of badgers eventually being able to fend for themselves by finding their own food, it leaves a little to be desired. That's because the ideal place for badgers to find food is short-cropped grassland where they can dig for worms. Although there's grassland in the area, it mostly isn't cropped short. There's a large expanse of reasonably short grass about half a mile away, that isn't too far but it isn't ideal. All this means is that the process of weaning the orphans off human support might take a little longer than it otherwise would.

3. There's sign on the site of current occupation by foxes and previous occupation by badgers, but no obvious sign of persecution, which is all taken as positive. However, because there won't be a long term custodian present in the vicinity, the artificial sett which will be constructed will need to be protected. The Trust has ways of doing that which I won't go into in a public forum and it isn't a problem.

4. Probably the biggest concern is the level of human support which will be available. The Trust is looking into the feasibility of putting an automatic feeder on the site, which would very substantially reduce the burden of care, but even so the more people that can offer any support at all the better.

So this is a shameless bump, asking for more people to offer whatever effort they feel they can afford to spare.

Any and all undertakings to make even one single visit to the site some time between late summer 2012 and early spring 2013 will be very welcome.

Please see post 1 for more information.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
so this is definately going ahead then ged? if so, that's superb news.
let me know some dates and i'll start drawing big lines through as much of my diary as i can afford to :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
so this is definately going ahead then ged? if so, that's superb news.
let me know some dates and i'll start drawing big lines through as much of my diary as i can afford to :)

Thanks Stu, and it's about as definite as it can be at this stage. Of course there's no way for the Trust to know how many orphans they'll be called on to look after this year, but they're going to make the sett for the site and so even if by some happy miracle they don't get enough orphaned badgers to populate all the available sites this year, at least they'll be that much more prepared next year with a sett and a site known to them in which they can put it.

I've told the Trust that I'll continue to drum up support and generally tried to put their minds at rest on the availability of effort to care for the animals -- not that it's in any way an onerous task -- and they seem fairly happy with things at the moment. They were a bit concerned that the site isn't easily accessible in a two-wheel drive vehicle for people just paying a visit to take food (as I posted at the outset it's down a half mile of green lane from the nearest road), but as the cross-section on BCUK is a bit more outdoors-oriented than perhaps you'd find in the average supermarket I feel that it really isn't an issue for us.

Incidentally when we did the survey I saw quite a bit more of the site than I've seen before, and there are some very hammock-friendly spaces if folks are that way inclined. The vegetation varies from dense scrub with trees to mossy ground with trees. Oh, I forgot to mention the deer, silly me. :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......They were a bit concerned that the site isn't easily accessible in a two-wheel drive vehicle for people just paying a visit to take food (as I posted at the outset it's down a half mile of green lane from the nearest road).......

not really an issue for me ged, two foot drive is pretty versatile really, i can get to all sorts of places that cars can't :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE