Backyard material finding mission in Finland

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
According to the Finnish Criminal Code 39/1889, penalties "does not apply to the gathering, on the land of another, of dry twigs from the ground, cones or nuts that have fallen to the ground or wild berries, mushrooms, flowers or other similar natural products, with the exception of lichen and moss". This in mind, I ventured to my backyard forest in a major city in Southern Finland. I was looking for a "twig" that would constitute of my new puukko handle. On the way I saw few Hazel grouses and white-tailed deers.

The forest you see in the photographs is a forest used previously for commercial purposes, but has been let grow itself for the last twenty years or so. It has started to turn itself into the natural state as you can see from the amount of dead wood and that on most part of the forest there is no more than three different tree species: birch, pine and spruce. This is do the fact that these will outgrow and shadow all other species.

Some snow left from the storm day before. The temperatures here are currently either just above or below the freezing point.
finland6.jpg

Illegal for my purposes but possibly a good tree for making skis.
finland1f.jpg

A small swamp near my lot.
finland2.jpg

"Twigs"
finland3.jpg

Another illegal thing, but a good source of root burls with a right from the landowner.
finland5.jpg

Back to the civilization.
finland4.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE