backwoods cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2008
uk
Im going camping over the weekend and wish to try some backwoods cooking, any suggestion?, recipes?

I wouldn't trying to cooking with hot rocks

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Bannock is nice and easy (and yummy).

Mistwalker's got a great post on roasting small chickens on a spit over the fire.

Or get a couple of trout and butterfly them scandinavian-style on sticks over the embers?

May 14, 2008
uk
Bannock is nice and easy (and yummy).

Mistwalker's got a great post on roasting small chickens on a spit over the fire.

Or get a couple of trout and butterfly them scandinavian-style on sticks over the embers?

i have tried bannock once before but found it very bland what recipe did you use?

i like the idea of the scandinavian style fish i might try that.

any other recipes you suggest?

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
i have tried bannock once before but found it very bland what recipe did you use?

i like the idea of the scandinavian style fish i might try that.

any other recipes you suggest?
I used a variation of John Fenna's recipe - only used white flour though, and less baking powder.

Also added raisins and a good spoonful of all-spice which helped get some flavour into it.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Rake up some hot ash's and pop an egg in them normal way up, with a hole chipped in the top with your knife.Get a pointy stick and give the yoke a poke and stir now and then for even cooking till starting to set. when set, pull out and shell when ok to handle.

Take Stafforshire Oatcakes or make them on site with a dry mix brought with you. Fry up bacon, rollup in an oatcake with cheese, and warm through, back in the pan.

Stick some rabbit legs on a stick, in front of the fire till done.

Put chopped up chorizo into your bannock mix, cook as normal. When done cut in half and fill with cheese and tom sauce and put back together again. Pitza!

Various one pot jobs, just go for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE