Backpacks to carry rifle and game

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Artois

Oct 28, 2012
Yorkshire
I have long been looking for a backpack that will accommodate carrying my rifle and also a small deer or meat, does anyone have any experience of one? preferably barrel-up carry and not too massive.
Regards
A

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am sure there are European options, but I know of a few US brands that sell dedicated mountain hunting packs that are designed to carry heavy loads of meat, the first two have rifle carriers designed to integrate with them.

Hill People Gear
Kifaru
Seek Outside
Eberlestock
Stone Glacier
Initial Ascent

How much weight are you expecting to carry with gear and meat?

I haven't needed to carry a rifle on my HPG pack, but I have carried some awkward loads using their load panel system and rate the design highly.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cabela's is probably the biggest outfitter in North America. If they don't sell it, you might not be able to buy it. Good website to do some window shopping without spending any money at all.

Don't worry too much about things labelled for the "mountains." The biggest deer here are all from the flat lands. The Canadian province of Saskatchewan holds most record deer in North America. What here that will carry a quarter moose or elk ought to carry an entire dressed small deer.

A Yamaha quad beats any pack.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I have seen such rucksacks offered by Berghaus and Solognac.

No experiances with it though.

Berghaus military rucksacks are issued in several NATO armies, Solognac is the Decathlon hunting brand that usually makes very good low budget stuff.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I use a three point rifle sling which holds the rifle in a stable position on your shoulder, you are not restricted to what pack you carry and wear if need be, when you grallock a deer.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
One thing I've never seen is a MOLLE rifle slip that can be attached to an existing pack. I tried making one but without much success but since then I've upgraded my sewing machine so may give it another go. You can buy rifle holsters that attach to a pack - that might be an option for you although barrel up could be an issue

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The army version of the Savotta rucksacks has a large loop to carry a gun if I understood it right. It's sewn onto the rucksack.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I have long been looking for a backpack that will accommodate carrying my rifle and also a small deer or meat, does anyone have any experience of one? preferably barrel-up carry and not too massive.
Regards
A
I've got a Wisport Forrester I will be selling if you're interested....barrel up carry, I guess about 30ltr.

Sent from Somerset using magic

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Kifaru produce the gun bearer which can be fitted to packs to carry a rifle. A lot of their frame packs have a 'shelf' to carry the kill. Not cheap though.

Artois

Oct 28, 2012
Yorkshire
Thanks for the advice and pointers, i eventually bought a Vorn pack, expensive but good quality, didn’t like it a bit, although it came close to what i wanted, what it did show me is that unless you are hiking miles and need to carry your rifle and not use it in a hurry then almost all the packs will do the job, i had some rose-tinted image of a comfy pack that held my rifle unobtrusively yet allowed me to easily deploy it as needed, but i don’t think this exists apart from in YouTube video’s designed to ensnare us poor shooters, so ive gone back to an big old roesack and hump my rifle on a sling as per the last 40ish years…

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE