Backpacks - 5.11 Rush, any opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daleios

Jun 2, 2015
Yorkshire
So I'm putting together a survival bag, I'm trying to decide which actual bag / rucksack to go with? So far I think I'm leaning towards the 5.11 rush 72. I'm wanting a bag to allow me to carry enough basic gear to be away from home for a prolonged period of time. Has anyone got any opinions on these bags or any others that they would recommend that I might have overlooked?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Is cost a major factor? The British army 45l day sacks are great quality and volume increased with the addition of side pouches but do have a few drawbacks. And unless you buy the Karrimor SF version don't come in a solid colour.

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
You might like to consider the Berghaus Centurio range. Coyote or Cedar, 30 or 45 litre with the killer feature of 10 litre accessory MMPS zip-on pockets (sometimes called 'rocket packs'). You can use them as kit organisers inside the rucksack, leaving you with the option of zipping 'em on the outside of the 'sac when you want to jack up your carrying capacity by 20 litres, giving a total capacity of either 50L or 65L, depending on the model.

They also have molle strips on the back which will allow you to add an additional molle pouch with ease. (The Mil-Tec pouch sized for the Crusader cooking system is a good size, tough and waterproof, worth having.)

I know it sounds weird but the 30L Centurio seems a LOT bigger than the good ol' Berghaus Munro, which is also supposed to be 30L !! The harness and back are comfy and the Centurio comes with a decent but not padded waist belt.

You may sometimes have to hunt for a supplier because forces lads are beginning to prefer the Centurios to the Munro for the greater adaptability. Right now, all appear on Amazon, a year ago they were as rare as hen's teeth. Check prices everywhere, there are wide variations in price and there are occasional bargains to be had.

Hope this waffle helps. (Did I mention I think the Rush 72 looks over engineered and has way more molle strips than can be good for waterproofing? -And is kinda overpriced on account of the $s becoming £s pricing phenomenon?)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Second 511 rush72, I've used it to carry loads over distance and carries well (14 mile), the internal back panel helps to aid comfort and stability.

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
Hmm, the dollar pound price thing isn't as bad as first I thought, Amazon.com is selling the Rush 72 at the pound equivalent of around £110. Significantly cheaper than Amazon.co.uk rates but still, not as bad a price difference as I thought.

I suppose it comes down to horses for courses. I spent 20 years in a busy MRT and the favoured bags were big and simple with no 'designer features' which limited flexibility. I suppose I'm conditioned by experience; for me, molle is still something of a novelty and simplicity a desirable virtue. I've learned not to trust zips, though the self healing zip is a big improvement over the earlier heavy duty metal ones.

I can remember times when we were out in continuous torrential rain for days on end and I'm not convinced any zip would have kept rain out under those conditions, but I suppose a sac cover would keep things fairly dry. I don't remember anyone ever using one though. The layout of the Rush is novel to me but I can see that service personnel would possibly sometimes need to be able to lay open their sac contents for access, fair enough, but having a potentially leaky pack nearly double the weight of a Centurio is a heavy price to pay.

I wonder if you need 55L for 3 days? Yonks ago I soloed the Pennine Way in 10 days using a Karrimor Hot Ice sac at about 25/30L, wild camping/ bivouacing & picking up grub on the way, apart from my high energy home brewed muesli. Admittedly early spring but it was perfectly possible. For a 'survival' situation you need basic kit and lightness on your side: a fully loaded all situations big bag can slow you down and -worst case- exhaust you. Obviously you'd need a bigger sac for winter, horses for courses...

Right now I'm working on slightly modifying a Helikon Wombat shoulder bag (about 20L) so that I can use it as a day bag which will let me walk around without attracting attention as a walker but which will carry enough for a relatively comfortable night if need be. As I say, horses for courses: first define your needs, then set about meeting them. :)

Daleios

Jun 2, 2015
Yorkshire
Thanks everyone for all your responses, this has been my first post on this forum and found all the responses really helpful.

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
Guess you have plenty to mentally chew over and digest now!:) It'd be good to learn what you eventually decide on: your decision and reasons for it may well help me in working out some future project. Experience can be very expensive stuff, it's good to share.

Daleios

Jun 2, 2015
Yorkshire
Guess you have plenty to mentally chew over and digest now!:) It'd be good to learn what you eventually decide on: your decision and reasons for it may well help me in working out some future project. Experience can be very expensive stuff, it's good to share.
I think I'm definitely leaning towards the Rush 72. I really like the look of the bag as well as the functionality. Iv watched some reviews on YouTube that really sing the praises of this bag.

There looks to be ample space and pockets to stow pretty much anything you'd need to take on a hike / camping trip.

I like that it has the capability of adding more to the bag using the Molle system to meet any requirements.

The next decision was to go for the Rush 24 or the 72. I've decided to go with the 72 better to have extra room and not need it than need it and not have any.

It's a shame there aren't any stockists local to my area as I would really like to get my hands on one just to have a up close look.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've got a rush 24 and it's cracking for work; I've used the 72 which also has the same functionality and robustness but....
For what you've described with regard to the need, there are lighter and better choices out there for backpacking. I can't remember rightly about the hip belt on the 72 but a functional correct hip belt is an absolutely must for walking with weight. Most milspec sacks tend to have a higher rise one for using with webbing which negates it's support. Hope it helps but it sounds like you've made up your mind!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Have you looked at the polish packs available? I have a raccoon which has the molle functionality whilst having a comfortable and supportive hipbelt? I can't remember the brand offhand but a cursory search with Google fu or Military 1st will give an answer mate

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Hi,

Welcome to BCUK.

You may find my review channel, milkitreviews,helpful on youtube where I have reviewed a lot of my 5.11 kit including all of the RUSH packs..

I have been using 5.11 kit for years and cannot fault it. My son a Police Sargent also uses a lot of it in his working kit also without problem.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Daleios

Jun 2, 2015
Yorkshire
Hi,

Welcome to BCUK.

You may find my review channel, milkitreviews,helpful on youtube where I have reviewed a lot of my 5.11 kit including all of the RUSH packs..

I have been using 5.11 kit for years and cannot fault it. My son a Police Sargent also uses a lot of it in his working kit also without problem.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks, I'll definitely checkout your channel.

I do have a quick question relating to the whole Molle system.

I'm sure I could improvise something myself but is there a way / attachment to purchase to allow an axe to be attached to the Molle system at the side of a backpack.

As I said I'm sure I could put something together using paracord and buckles but wondered if there was anything already one the market to secure tools e.g. Axe to backpacks, all iv seen at the moment is all shapes and sizes of pouches.

As always any input would be great.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Thanks, I'll definitely checkout your channel.

I do have a quick question relating to the whole Molle system.

I'm sure I could improvise something myself but is there a way / attachment to purchase to allow an axe to be attached to the Molle system at the side of a backpack.

As I said I'm sure I could put something together using paracord and buckles but wondered if there was anything already one the market to secure tools e.g. Axe to backpacks, all iv seen at the moment is all shapes and sizes of pouches.

As always any input would be great.

Hi,

I dont know of a ready made attachmet but I agree that it wouldnt take much to make one.

A simple 25mm webbing or paracord loop attached to the lower molle line and paracord to tie the shaft close to the top of the pack would do it.

You may find that if you are using a small forest axe it might fit inside the RUSH 72 or the 5.11 All Hazrds Prime Pack.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
That's a good suggestion, I like the look of these Polish packs, oh the desicions


I've got a couple of Wisport packs and they are great quality (Sparrow 20 and a Forester 28l), made in Poland too not China! Would certainly recommend them.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Reference axe holder; purchase an open torch pouch (I think Maxpedition?) and that will hold tightly and be molle compatible. Choose your colour and wham!
865755963c3644d722fd704c5919ff2c.jpg

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Reference axe holder; purchase an open torch pouch (I think Maxpedition?) and that will hold tightly and be molle compatible. Choose your colour and wham!
865755963c3644d722fd704c5919ff2c.jpg

What a brilliant idea!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE