Backpack Review: Lowe Alpine Salient

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
Hi There

Was out yesterday, prepared a forest camp for a group of people and had to carry quite some gear. Since I am happy with my Salient backpack I decided to share my view with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkT2Rfggq5k

I own it since autumn 2009 and used it a lot. Very rugged, reliable and extremely comfortable.
Well suited to carry:
- load over long distances (long distance trekking ) or
- heavy load through dense bush and forest
Not a lightweight pack, rather costly (it will last forever though) and not suited for alpine climbing:

I have no affiliation to Lowe, am just satisfied with the pack. I can say nothing about the customer service of Lowe's, never had to deal with them.

Specs:
Dimensions: 73cm x 36cm x 21cm (28''x14''x8.5'')
Packvolume: 70+20 litres (2440+1220cu.in.)
Suited for Back Length: 40.6 - 55.8cm (16” – 22”)
Weight: 2,930 Kg
Material: 1000 D Cordura®
Colour: Olive

Let me know your thoughts
P@

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
damn! lol wished i had a time machine! i could have done wth a good video like this a couple of months ago, wanted one of these, still do, but money has gone on other bits now after a last minute doubt.

sell more stuff!!!! buy salient! doh!
very helpful, thanks for posting!

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Yarp. Good overview of the pack.

Same as Rabbitsmacker, I looked at the Salient for a long while when I was looking for a big ruck. If that video had been around back then, it might have kept it in the running but again, I bought something else.

Thanks for posting.

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
Hi, thanks for a great review. You mention side pouches but I dont see any zips, only compression straps, does anyone know how the pouches attach and which pouches are compatible?

Dave.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I stand to be corrected if someone has first hand experience, but from the video (and the absence of side zips) the side pooches don't look PLCE or similar. Might be something available in mainland Europe and at a good guess would attach via the compression straps. Middle and bottom ones judging by how low down they are fixed.

Hope that helps, Dave.

Edit. Looking again. the compression straps look equally spaced so the side pooches could be set higher up.

Last edited:

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
I stand to be corrected if someone has first hand experience, but from the video (and the absence of side zips) the side pooches don't look PLCE or similar. Might be something available in mainland Europe and at a good guess would attach via the compression straps. Middle and bottom ones judging by how low down they are fixed.

Hope that helps, Dave.

Edit. Looking again. the compression straps look equally spaced so the side pooches could be set higher up.

Thanks for answering, thats what I thought (pretty much). If I'm attaching side pouches I want to know they are going to be with me at the end of the journey.
I'll probably end up with a vulcan and a centurio and do the pouch swap thing.

Dave.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Thanks for answering, thats what I thought (pretty much). If I'm attaching side pouches I want to know they are going to be with me at the end of the journey.
I'll probably end up with a vulcan and a centurio and do the pouch swap thing.

Dave.

Bear in mind that the side pooch zips on a Vulcan are orientated different to the Centurio. Centurio and Crusader 90 have zips that fasten top to bottom, on a Vulcan bottom to top. Weird, and who knows why Berghaus did that, but that's how they are.

Last edited:

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
Really? Thanks for that. So, are you saying that if I bought the latest vulcan complete with pouches (mmps I believe they call them), and the latest centurio, then I wont be able to swap the pouches? The vulcan pouches must be a different fitting although they look identical to the mmps pouches which are sold seperately and fit Centurio and Crusader. Bonkers!
Now I really need to start again.

Dave.

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
I have just googled the subject and found a similar thread on BB, so Vulcan pouches are not compatible with centurio due to upside down zips. apologies for being a bit hasty with the link.
This is a bit confusing, I have only just worked out plce side pouches.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking.

Dave.

Last edited:

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
If you buy this.

and

This.

Then the side pooches, MMPS are compatible.

If you get this they aren't, but will accept PLCE or the Karrimor stuff. For a day sack that will, look here

Confusing? Yes.

No connection to any seller, links for info only.

For some reason, Berghaus have made the MMPS side pooches for the Centurio, Spartan (can't wait to see that) and the Crusader 90+20 without being able to swap and change with PLCE or Karrimor types.

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
If you buy this.

and

This.

Then the side pooches, MMPS are compatible.

If you get this they aren't, but will accept PLCE or the Karrimor stuff. For a day sack that will, look here

Confusing? Yes.

No connection to any seller, links for info only.

For some reason, Berghaus have made the MMPS side pooches for the Centurio, Spartan (can't wait to see that) and the Crusader 90+20 without being able to swap and change with PLCE or Karrimor types.

Thanks for all your help, that is the perfect answer. I'm going for a long lie down now.

Dave.

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com

Hope that helps, Dave.

Hi Dave / nolightweght

There are no zips, indeed, for the side pockets. They are attached by the compression straps only, with the option to attach them higher, or lower. Works out fine, had no problem with that so far. I only use them (the side pockets) when out for long multiday hikes.

Hope that helps!

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Good video cheers Swiss:).
Just ordered one from ebay ideal as its a smaller pack than my lowe alpine pathfinder but with the same bits and bobs just what I wanted for my next trip :).
what size are the side pouchs? does anyone know a UK seller?
Twodogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE