backpack question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arjuna

Jan 6, 2007
amstelveen
gents

can somebody tel me what kind of pack mr mears carrying on the cover of the book,""essential bushcraft'" thise is perfect for carry if yuor bag is not that strong

koen

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Hi Koen,

I don't know the brand. Who knows it might be a custom made. I do know that the Berghaus vulcan 2 comes pretty close and is a fantastic bag. Are you looking for a bag? If so, maybe I can help you. Cheers anyway!

Goof

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
if it's the same one where he's walking through the tall grass on the full size bushcraft book then it's a framed pack
In the text he comments that noronna make particularly good packs, but i can't see this one on their website - maybe an old model ??

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Any good backpack should be good for those with bad backs, well as good as anything can be. A good pack should transfer the weight down onto the hips so that the shoulders and back just stabilise the load.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
This one ?
nor_pak_1.jpg

hard to tell, but looks like the Noronna logo on the lid

nor_logo_1.jpg

It's not in their current range though ...

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Its a Norrona Recon, 120L and no longer made, Norrona made a few external frame rucksacs until about two years ago when they swapped to their new design.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't like bergens with those compartment openings at the bottom of the main compartment. You know the ones, you can change it to a two parter by closing an internal baffle. IMO, it is a weak spot. As soon as that zip breaks, and it will one day, then you are scuppered!

For me, an external frame bergen is becoming more and more my favourite. i spent a bit of time with a PLCE on my back and the sweaty back is not a nice thing. A frame allows air to circulate and I haven't suffered this problem yet. The downside is the increase in weight, but my LK35 and my M1939 packs are both very comfortable and the extra weight of the frame is negligible.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I have the Karrimor 60 - 100, I find the zippered access at the bottom very handy. It's also built like a tank, so while the lower zip may give one day am pretty sure it'll give me plenty of service until then. There are also enough attachment points all over it that if the zip goes in the field, I'll be able to bungee it closed until I get home. I tend to keep either stuff I don't mind getting wet (tarp, hammock etc.) or clothes in drybags in that section anyway.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I too have the 60-100 and have had it for at least 5 -6 years it has taken a sh*t load of abuse over the years and it still looks in good nick.
I wash it off now and then clean any muck out of the zips once in a while and it plods on.
I have carried a full load in it (far too much) and other than the shear weight it was as comfy as any pack I have lugged.
the lower zip section is handy to get at gear you would normaly have to rumage to the bottom of a single compartment sack for.
I rate it "VERY HIGHLY" as a big pack, but it is no god as a day or weekend sack, it makes you take too much, you see all that empty space and you think Oh I will just slip that in there and this in that bit.:eek: i am only going for a weekend I dont need all that!:red:
But a damn good sack.
Oh, no conections with them at all, and a bit miffed that the Accrington depot had to close down.:(

That Norrona pack looks too clumsy for my taste.

The side pouches are too high if you ask me and could force your head forward on long tabs with heavy loads.

Try sticking to a decent daysack and take less kit,your back will thankyou when your an old codger.

(my knees are cattle trucked from lugging heavy loads and kneeling down whilst on patrol and i am only 33)

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
That Norrona pack looks too clumsy for my taste.

The side pouches are too high if you ask me and could force your head forward on long tabs with heavy loads.

Actually, they're not.
I've had and used one for quite some years, and they're great on your back, light or heavy load.
I've only gave up mine since I thought I didn't need such a cavernous pack.
And then it turned out I did, so I had to buy a big rucksack again... :eek:

Try sticking to a decent daysack and take less kit,your back will thank you when your an old codger.

This is oh so true.
Nothing like a big rucksack to lure you into taking with you that bit of extra kit wit that you don't really need, but since there's room for it...
Makes it a tad heavy sometimes.

/ Karl

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland

Many here find it an excellent pack.
I have it and use ut occasionally.
It's got superb features for bushcrafting, is about the right size for your "big rucksack" and is about as hardwearing as they come. The fact that it can take PLCE pockets makes it even more versatile.

On a personal note though:
- I find it to have a bit too short back length, so if you're tall, it's probably going to feel too small/short for you (it doesn't have an adjustable back length and only comes in the one size).
- I find it too soft to carry heavy loads comfortably. And lets face it - with a big pack it will be for heavy loads.

If I were to buy a rucksack of this size and shape, I'd go for a Berghaus Vulcan.
- It doesn't have the PLCE pockets, true, but its own side pockets are made to be put together to make up a small daypack that works fairly well.
- It's also got a fixed back system, but unlike the Sabre it comes in several different sizes so you can find the right back length for you.
- It doesn't have any wand pockets, but I don't really miss them anyway.
- It's stiff enough to carry loads very comfortably. Believe me, I've carried much too much gear with this pack, and it's always been comfy to carry. Until my knees buckles from the weight alone that is...

I have the Berghaus Vulcan and have been using it hard for 12 years all through the year from deserts in Africa to snow in the north of Sweden and through forests and in the mountains in the centre of Europe.
If this is the size rucksack you're looking for and in the same prize range as the sabre, I can't recommend the Berghaus Vulcan highly enough.

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE