Back out on the bunnies last night!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Shooting/hunting animals when they are a pest or to have food on your plate is perfectly ok, but thinking killing is fun and obviously enjoying shooting animals makes me think there's something wrong with you.

But than again, that's just me.....

If you dont like looking at these types of threads... keep your nose out of fair game and keep your comments to yourself

Jason

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Dougster i agree fully with your reply , and it's good to hear that someone else gets enjoyment from their sport as well .

Grendel thank you for being honest with your reply, all i can say in response is try and find someone in your area to take you out after rabbits or rats as there still legal to hunt , i guarantee after you see a dog work after a rabbit you will sell the air rifle and want a lurcher , either way good luck in your hunt for permission ,it's not that easy to get off farmers ,well not around here anyway

Spoony i agree that with some packs its more about sport than control , but there are packs where its about sport and control , usually foot packs or gun packs i.e lake district and hill country in Wales and Scotland and they were effective and you are right about rifle , caller and lamp , but the rifle men iv'e come across are only interested in numbers not the welfare of their quarry or the effect that shooting big numbers now will have on the future , i think that all methods of control i.e shooting ,hounds, lurchers or terriers , all have there place as along as the person behind them is sensible and respects their quarry, yis

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Let's just say I misunderstood the initial post by Stratts, because I was under the impression that he actually enjoyed the KILLING. Since he altered his post, I can not point out to you why I did get that impression.

As stated I have no problems with hunting or shooting for pestcontrol or consumption, for I would one day very much like to learn it myself. I am only opposed to the killing for the fun and the sport of it.
So NO, I am not an ANTI-hunter, which you can clearly read in my comment, Silverback and JAG009, but judging by your typical comments, I assume you guys are "hunting sportsmen" too?

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Let's just say I misunderstood the initial post by Stratts, because I was under the impression that he actually enjoyed the KILLING. Since he altered his post, I can not point out to you why I did get that impression.

As stated I have no problems with hunting or shooting for pestcontrol or consumption, for I would one day very much like to learn it myself. I am only opposed to the killing for the fun and the sport of it.
So NO, I am not an ANTI-hunter, which you can clearly read in my comment, Silverback and JAG009, but judging by your typical comments, I assume you guys are "hunting sportsmen" too?

No am not a hunting sportsman... i dont even own a air gun but i have no problem with those that do ,,if i had the time i would hunt for all my own meat

Jason

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
There are different levels and interpretations using the word "enjoy" I certainly enjoy going after the quarry but there is always a purpose which quite often people do not understand. I would hope no one here kills because they can, there is a set quarry rabbits crows etc and not just anything that moves.
The wife for example can not understand pest control and with rabbits for an example thinks of them as pets which is far from what a wild rabbit is.

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Awarner, maybe show the Mrs the pic of the munched wheat and explain the damage they do? Then tell her the reason Wheatabix is so expensive is because the bunnies get there 1st if we don't control them, lol!!!

A friend had an assessor on his farm and last year they estimated losing about £44,000 of crops to pests (mainly pigeons) which would pay 2 farm hands basic salary. Another farmer I shoot for lost 10% of his peas to pigeons on 280 acres so refuses to grow them any more!!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Rabbits cost our economy upwards of £250 million per year (Yes, a quarter of a billion pounds!). Not only through damage to crops, but also infrastructure.
Not so cute now are they? How many schools or hospitals would that sort of money support?

Blimy 22k basic salary for a farm hand i'm definitly in the wrong job.

It's a pittance considering the hours they do.

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
Its so much more than just 'killing'. Nobody would enjoy euthanizing a injured farm animal or something like that. I enjoy stalking, the field craft, the skill of making a good shot, and enjoy looking at a wild animal, being able to seeing its beauty up close. Taking it home and eating it. Shooting is great fun! No need to feel guilty.
If you eat meat do you feel guilty for enjoying a burger? Because you helped kill that animal.

Last edited:

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Hi all,
I havn't posted in a long time, but what a cracker of a thread. I have hunted and shot from 11 years old. My preffered tool is a close run thing between holly the dog and lamp or the air riffle. As Stratts will very well know, if you can hunt a rabbit in day light with an air rifle your fieldcraft skills are pretty hot.
When taking a wild animal with dog or gun, it is really quite different to rearing your own chicken or lamb and then dispatching it for the freezer.
What are your feelings on rearing one for the pot?

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Cant say i have but i'm more refering to packs of dogs attacking the prey rather than a quick kill with a few bites from a well trained dog

Hounds are the most highly trained and the leading hound will dispatch the `prey` with a bite to the back of the neck, despite what the anti-hunting brigade would have you believe.
If you dont think they are highly trained then gather up 30 dogs and take them out for a walk with no leads.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Maybe we should have separate sections for pro hunt and anti hunt. Perhaps call it countrymen and townies. Haha.
Probably the most idiotic thing I have read on this forum, and a good way to stereotype and ensure that future knowledge on the topic is subject to bias.

@ OP

Nice mate, I bet the farmer was chuffed :)

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Probably the most idiotic thing I have read on this forum, and a good way to stereotype and ensure that future knowledge on the topic is subject to bias.

Haha, scolded on a forum!
It always has been subject to bias, please tell me more about how the antis would dearly love to rub shoulders with the pros and how they all want to get along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE