Baby Foot Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
First attempt at a Full tang.

It was to be a nice little blade to celebrate my first daughter, (Nearly nine weeks
now)

so it was not going to be a 10” plus mammoth man sized blade.
I drew out and settled on a 2” blade and the overall size is 6”…then cut this
DSC01623.jpg

After a few more sheets of paper I had in my mind that the scales should have a nice contrast of light and dark so sourced Hawthorn branch from the garden and some buffalo horn off the internet, along with some brick red liner.
DSC01662.jpg

It took a while to sand the compound angles by hand but I got a fairly tight fit so bonded the scale sections together then after more sanding flat the liners were added.
DSC01664.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

Now the knife is taking shape but before I bond the scales to the blade I need some advice.

I (like a fool) messed up one of the hole in the scale and over sized it at one end (when the pin is in you can see a gap) should I fill it with glue or countersink the hole and rivet the ends of the pins over?
DSC01671.jpg

Also the file work on the top of the tang (another first…and a bit asymmetrical) looks fine as it is but I have seen knives with a resinous ‘filling’ that fills the voids…what is it?, and if I don’t use it is there a way of keeping the adhesive from spewing into the voids and looking unsightly?
DSC01672.jpg

DSC01674.jpg

If you can offer help then thanks…

I will post more on this as and when I finish, There is still a small foot print and hand print silver plaque to inlay to the handle and a sheath to make with the same embossed onto the closure.

The sheath will hold a nicely proportioned whetstone from that QDan T on the ‘leg side’ by the blade.

Thanks again for any advice you can give

Jim

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Cheers,
Still a long way to go.
I have an idea with the oversized hole (the rearmost pin of the first scale section)
1. I will try on a scrap piece to see if i can rivet the end over to fill the gap (not sure i like this idea)
Or failing that
2. install some blind pins to locate the scales and drill the existing holes in the scales oversized by 1.5mm but leave the holes in the tang the correct size. At the point of assembly I could then fill the holes with a coloured adhesive and set the pins, thus giving a nice border to each pin (has any one else attempted this?...show me the results please)

Not sure which way to go!

Either way i will try and glue the scales on by the weekend and buff up the knife, then the sheath will follow:yikes:

Jim

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE