Axes

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have been on the lookout for a GB Small Forrest Axe but was wondering, What is the alternative in other brands.
The Wetterlings Outdoor Small Forrest axe has got my attention, has anyone used one or own one.
The other is the Hultafors axes but not sure which the equivalent model is.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why does that size appeal? I find it too small for two handed use and cumbersome in one hand. Are you open to other solutions.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Why does that size appeal? I find it too small for two handed use and cumbersome in one hand. Are you open to other solutions.

Main in reason is pack size. I have a couple smaller and also the Scandinavian Forrest axe and the American Felling.

What did you have in mind.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm a fan of the SFA but a slightly smaller size would be useful. Been thinking about putting a longer haft on a wildlife hatchet head

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm a fan of the SFA but a slightly smaller size would be useful. Been thinking about putting a longer haft on a wildlife hatchet head

Heard that said on a couple of occasions. Like the size and weight of the head but could be a little longer.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I chose the Wetterlings bushman axe in preference to the GB SFA, liked the slightly longer handle (but still packable), and the head design that allows you to choke up nice and tight if wanted, and the general feel and balance of it. Doesn't seem to get much attention on here but I think it's a real gem :)

Cheers, Paul

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I chose the Wetterlings bushman axe in preference to the GB SFA, liked the slightly longer handle (but still packable), and the head design that allows you to choke up nice and tight if wanted, and the general feel and balance of it. Doesn't seem to get much attention on here but I think it's a real gem :)

Cheers, Paul

Is that the Les Sroud one?

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I couldn't afford the GB Small Forest Axe so bought the Hultafors Large Trekking Axe.
I was told it was a similar size but I've never seen them together.
It's well made and was a good price.

Bongonaut

Sep 12, 2014
Yorkshire
I have the SFA and the wildlife hatchet...out of the two the SFA is the all rounder,the wildlife hatchet is great for spoons and finishing off from a bigger tool..they come ready for business and hold an edge very well...buy cheap buy twice....?
Pack wise the hatchet just slips in,carries on a belt without noticing.
Check out Ben orford review on the tube..

I went in rather another direction since while I like the Small FA, I found that it did poorly when used to split wood with a baton.

Basically I started with a new Hults hatchet, removed the head and then put on a longer handle.
hatc1.jpg

I did quite a lot of grinding in stages afterward to bring out the wide bevels and smooth ramp to the eye area. The overall idea is that if a person can create a perfect wedge, then with a baton, even metre lengths of wood can be split in one baton blow.

This pic is with a tiny hatchet and a light blow to keep the wood together long enough to get a picture with the primitive camera of the time. Notice both the split and the fact that the whole of the tiny hatchet head isn't sunk into the wood:
vaughansplitting.jpg

Red has a good point in that a well finished hatchet is capable of astounding amounts of work, and of course a larger axe will easily outclass the Small Forest. Here at times the lower dead branches of conifers are the ony dry wood around. I find the longer handle to be of advantage over a regular hatchet in safety when putting in a few chops above my head, so that I can then break off the branches. I tie up a bunch and drag them to a fire site. Since I like beaches, there are driftwood logs not covered in snow. I lie a branch in line with the length of the log, and a heavier head on the hatchet/axe makes it easier to drive it through the branch and into the log. I do this half way along the 2+ metre branch, and both in line with the length of the branch and log. At this point it's a good idea to use a baton to make sure that the axe head is firmly embedded in the log. Now I use body weight to lever the ends of the branch and the initial split opens in both directions to the ends. A heavier head and a bit of experience makes this much faster and easier than it would appear. You just keep splitting the already split lengths until they are the required thickness and can be broken by hand.
I've been impressed enough with the performance of the cheap soft Hults head to dig out a better vintage one and do things properly. The big issues with hatchets and short axes is trying to overpower them, or trying to drop a dead brittle tree (common on the coast here). In the latter case if the tree breaks, a nasty sharp spear descends and you are too close.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE