Axes / Adzes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Had a few requests for info on these tools that I make. I guess this may sail pretty close to the rules on advertising, if so my apologies, but I have none to sell at the moment, and as I say it was requested. First up an image of the adzes I make:

These are mild steel bodies with a cutting edge of bearing steel laminated in place, external bevel. Hold a great edge with a fine bevel. 50mm internal diameter, most are in the 400g range , although I can easily make heavier versions.
Next up axes

Most of these are again mild steel bodies with a bearing steel edge laminated in, designed for carving. the darker handled one is the most common style I make, just around 41/2" cutting edge, 550-600g. fully sharpened as are all my tools.

I have also been making larger bearded axes along the lines of the sheathed one in the photo- these are made from en9 - very similar to the steel used in GB axes, I can make these in a larger range of styles, such as the one below. Prices on these are not yet fixed, and very depending on the style.

And lastly my apologies for the formatting of these post, I can't use return to start a new line, anyone know what I am doing wrong? - edit - fixed thanks to Mesquite!

Last edited:

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
It is a good point and as I said I am unsure where I stand on this- but I am not selling them, I have none to sell and was asked this evening to provide this information by forum members.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I was asked in the axe gallery thread for prices. I am happy to, and will remove them as I have a backlog and no need to tout for business.
From reading the guidelines it seems like it would have been alright if I had replied in the axe gallery thread with prices? but I didn't want to clog up Samon's thread. I thought the idea of a gallery was that it wouldn't be full of spurious posts.

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Sorry if I put you in a tough spot here nic, I'm to blame for asking questions about prices and materials.
Thanks for accommodating, but in hind sight I should have sent you a PM with questions about prices. My apologies to you, and to Samon if I hijacked his thread.

Edit: I did get to see the prices before you removed them:D

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hell Nic.
Thanks for posting the photos.
I was holding the karlsson bowl adze up as the benchmark. Mainly going by the opinion of a few members on here.
Is yours a slightly thicker blade than the karlsson bowl adze?
Is it more difficult to achieve a thinner blade? I've been told some makers use the thicker blade at the front, as it gives more weight and power, and less flex?

Last edited:

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Dave,
I am afraid I have no idea how this compares to a HK, I don't think I have seen one apart from on a screen. I can alter the thickness of the blade either way without any problems. Not really sure if I understand the rest about stiffness, but as I see it most of the stiffness of the blade comes from the curve not the thickness of the steel. Think corrugated iron!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE