Axe vs Boot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
In an iddle moment I decided to find out what happens when your axe
glances off the wood and buries itself in your foot.
With a paper-slizing-sharp medium-sized axe, my GB´s SFA, I did
two sliding cuts against a normal Hiking Boot.
Since I had to pin the Boot to the ground with one foot, and twist the
other leg out of the way of the axe , I was in a rather awkward position
which prohibited hitting the Boot real hard.
It turned out to be the kind of swing you get when the axe glances off
and swishes uncontrollable through the air. You know what I mean?!

First strike was against the toebox:

Image00004.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

The axe went right through everything: leather, rubber band, midsole and
outer sole, the small toe would have been half cut off.

The second strike was against the heel.

Image00001.jpg

Again, the blade went right through leather, stiffener and lining. skin, tendons
and cartilage would have been severed to the bone.
Impressive, isnt it?
Now imaging wearing sneakers or hitting the unprotected leg or even using
a bigger and sharper axe!
So take care of yourself. In the house and out in the wood.
Merry christmas to all of you.
Alex

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
OW :eek:

Very informative, and as the recepiant of a axe to the hand recently it has hit home (bad pun, sorry) about how easy it can be to injure yourself with a sharp of any description.

Take care and have a good crimbo to all :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did a similar thing for real many years ago!
I was breaking in a pair of Hawkins "Cairngorm" boots - youngsters will not know these but they were SOLID mountain boots - and I was chopping driftwood for the fire with a non too sharp hatchet. Most of the wood was salt seasoned gorse branches and pretty tough, though there were bits that had rotted and were soft....
Yup, I swung to cut the hard stuff but found a patch of rot - the hatched went through it like a hot knife through butter, through the edge of my oak chopping block and into my boot.
The leather was cut through, so was the toe box and the liner, the sole - a full spec vibram unit - and even my sock was cut.
Luckily skin is tough and elastic and all I suffered was one ***** of a bruise, a dented ego and an empty wallet - those boots were NOT cheap - but gained a valuable lesson!
I hate to think what the damage would have been if I had the edge on that hatchet as sharp as I now keep all my blades!
Go carefully my friends!
John

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
OUCH!!! :eek: Thank you for sharing that. I'll have nightmares now! It does illustrate very graphically though why we all need to handle an axe with extreme care. :rolleyes:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I put a link up ages ago showing a guy in the states who had cut his foot open with a machete...The MODS removed it as it was "VERY GRAPHIC"

This is the stitches after photo, the others are far to graphic for this forum:eek:

2qu838m.jpg

LS

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I remember a few years ago, at a Country Fayre event, watching the Axe Racing. Two blokes stood on 18 inch diameter logs, novice Axeman starts chopping and then a time penalty delay before the older guy could start cutting. Of course the old sweat won the race and he only hit the log eight times :eek: , but as he took his bow, he signalled for the commentator to turn off his microphone. The rest of the crowd were full of admiration for the heroes in the showring, but I noticed the old guy indicating his foot and hobbling a bit. He made his way to the first aid tent by walking a long way around. I managed to get a few quiet words with the commentator - on one strike, the axe had cut through the log he was standing on, and come up through the sole of his safety boot and near sliced his big toe off - yet he still went on to take his applause and ensure that the vast majority were none the wiser of his predicament.

A timely warning Oetzi, as we cut more wood for our fires in this colder season.

Ogri the trog

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
John Fenna said:
I did a similar thing for real many years ago!
I was breaking in a pair of Hawkins "Cairngorm" boots - youngsters will not know these but they were SOLID mountain boots - and I was chopping driftwood for the fire with a non too sharp hatchet. Most of the wood was salt seasoned gorse branches and pretty tough, though there were bits that had rotted and were soft....
Yup, I swung to cut the hard stuff but found a patch of rot - the hatched went through it like a hot knife through butter, through the edge of my oak chopping block and into my boot.
The leather was cut through, so was the toe box and the liner, the sole - a full spec vibram unit - and even my sock was cut.
Luckily skin is tough and elastic and all I suffered was one ***** of a bruise, a dented ego and an empty wallet - those boots were NOT cheap - but gained a valuable lesson!
I hate to think what the damage would have been if I had the edge on that hatchet as sharp as I now keep all my blades!
Go carefully my friends!
John

I had a pair of them :) Almost bomb proof,probably saved your foot :eek:

Very good post Oetzi.An object lesson without the blood.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Haste and mindlessness allows us to learn and heal at leasure, :eek:
With sharp tools you should never rush and use the tools faster or in situations that you can not control. But we all have, to a degree done that right?
We must be ever mindfull.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Growing up with easy access to more wilderness area outside our front door than the size of some smaller countries I learned early to be a tad careful about what you do. If you hurt yourself badly, you might be there a while before - or if - anyone finds you. The key thing is to be aware of your surroundings, know what you are doing, pay attention, and have some common sense.

xylaria

Does anybody think that a piece of double knit chain mail tied to the top of the boot might save some toes. The foot will still have alot of broken bones but the chain mail might keep it in one peice.
I too am very clumsy, and I borrow mrX s toetectors for axe work. But like most people we dont bring industrial boots out with us, and I just thought the chain-mail idea might be a little more portable.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
An ordinary steel toecap is probably lighter than chainmail - the only reason to use mail is if you need the flexibility.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
If you are a professinal logger, or you are out in the bush doing something like building a log cabin, a pair of steel toed boots might be a good idea.

However, steel toed boots are extremely cold in the winter and for wilderness travel are very uncomfortable. You're better off just being careful and developing enough skill with an axe that you are comfortable with and is sized properly for you that you just don't whack yourself with it.

xylaria

I thought of chain mail as it can taken off the boot after you have finshed chopping. It is tied to footware by leather straps. Chain mail can be stuffed into a rucksack better than PPE boots. Also as far as I know it can deflect a blow from a edged weapon better then a metal plate. Yes learning the use a axe properly and paying proper care and attention to not chopping your own foot off is the best course of action. But we can all make mistakes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE