Axe Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

murf

Hi could anyone help me with a good design for a leather axe sheah/ cover?
Cheers
Murf

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
murf said:
Hi could anyone help me with a good design for a leather axe sheah/ cover?
Cheers
Murf

Murf:

I always keep this simple and utilitarian. This might not be what you have in mind. I used two basic axe sheaths.

First one:

Take a piece of new cut birchbark four times the length of your axe blade (between the bit and where the handle goes through the blade). You might want to wet your bark before beginning - makes it more pliable. It should also be 1/4 inch wider than the widest part of the bit. Lay the bark on the table with the white side up (inner bark is showing when finished). Fold each end in so they meet in the center. Where they meet - fold again.

Take some thinner bark, about 1/2 inch wide, and start from the center fold. Starting from the fold, lace this thinner bark between the two pieces (fold) on one side of the sheath, through the fold on the other side of the sheath, then wrap around the outside - inbetween the two pieces (fold) on the first side of the sheath - inbetween the fold on the other side of the sheath, wrap around etc. round and round the sheath in a spiral - until you run out of fold.

Wrap it tight. Getting the last bit through is tough, but with perseverence, you can do it. The folds will trap the ends and the bark is stiff enough so it won't come undone. Makes a great sheath, and a great conversation piece too. If you've done it tight, it won't slip off the bit. You can add a bit of lace to tie the sheath off to the axe handle if you like extra security.

After a couple of tries, you will be able to do this in a couple of minutes. Makes good knife sheaths too. Good for quickly constructing a sheath in the field.

Second method:

Take two pieces of leather about 1/2 inch longer then the bit on your axe is wide. Make an outline of the bit on the edges. Add 3/16 inch to the outside of the outline, and 3/4 inch to the inside. Cut leather at the added 3/16 line and at the added 3/4 inch line. This sheath covers only the bit.

Use an awl and make evenly spaced holes along the outline - 3'16 from the outside edge (punch through both pieces at once - make sure your awl is straight up and down when punching the holes). Sew along the bit outline and in 3/4", at each end, at a 90 degree angle, to the end of the leather.

Punch a hole through both pieces and put a lace in each side with an overhand knot to keep it in place. Make sure the lace is long enough to wrap each lace once around the haft of the axe and tie in a bow knot. All done.

As my axe goes in my pack, or the handle is stuck in my belt - there is no belt loop.

PG

M

murf

Pierre.
Thanks I will have a go and let you know how I turns out.
Cheers
Murf

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Murf

You could also make one like this.

f0c0c0a5.jpg

It`s actually a (half finished) tomahawk sheat, but could also be used with an axe.
I`ve made it for use with a shoulder strap, but you could easily sew some beltloops on it instead. And the shape could follow the axe.
Hope this was helpful.

Tor

M

murf

Tor
cheers that looks really good. I dont want somthing as big as that but is has given me an idea. I like the way the axe is pushed through the top.I will have a go and let you know what it turns out like.
Cheers again
Murf

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi guys Does anyone have any other designs for say a hip/belt mounted type leather sheath. I am thinking along the lines of a sheath stitched to a leather belt strap -so it could be slung over one shoulder and then the sheath lays at waist level near the trouwser or coat pocket. This way the sheath can be worn over a light or heavy top (jumper/coat).
Im probably going to have a go at making one of these any how just checking if anyones done one before? It would be for a GF Wildlife hatchet.
Thanks Ivan

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Thanks Dom, im making a few more at the moment for the makers market and i have a larger version for the SFA that im working on.

rb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE