Axe relevance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I notice that a lot of people on here talk about the relevance/importance of an axe. I see photos of quite basic kit, but often that kit includes an axe.

I appreciate those living in Scandanavian/North American environments might see its inclusion in basic kit as being worth the weight, but im intrigued as to the Uk bushcrafters.

Do you carry an axe? and in uk conditions, what does it give you over and above that of a good knife and perhaps some form of folding saw, that justifies its inclusion in your kit?

Myself, i can see the odd time it would be useful, but the same could be said for all manner of weighty tools, but such times are too few and far between, and most can be gotten around in some way or other.

interested what you all think?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What can I say? I like using an axe! I could split wood with a saw, there is a technique for it that is very effective and takes little effort. Probably consumes less energy too, but I like to feel like I've worked for my fire wood. I can carve a rudimentary tent peg or six and drive them into the ground all with my axe in short order. I could whittle with a pen knife after cutting the sticks to length with a saw and pound them in with a dod of wood instead, but where would be the fun in that? :D

Probably not a totally necessary bit of kit, but i enjoy using one and it's as simple as that for me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They`re a great bit of kit to have in your arsenal but there`s plenty of folk who don`t find them necessary. It`s a personal choice I suppose, I prefer to have one with me as it makes swift work of many campcraft chores such as collecting firewood & working larger pieces of timber etc.
A knife and a saw will make it equally as simple but like Spamel said there`s something very satisfying about crafting something whilst using a razor sharp axe.

It might be worth having a go with somebody`s before you get your own rather than forking out a wedge of cash on something you won`t really get on with.

HTH

Rich

Aug 18, 2008
Derry N.I
I own both an axe and folding saw.

I take my saw on every trip but my axe only on occasion.

I rarely cut logs thicker than my arm and can cut just as well with my saw.

But basically I enjoy using an axe, I grew up using one when preparing wood for our fire at home as a child.

Practicality wise I can do most jobs that an axe can do with a more compact folding saw with out getting any dodgy looks from pasters by ,walking down the road with a axe strapped to my ruck sack f haha!

:)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
me neither not in the UK at any rate a decent sized knife 5 inches or longer you can baton without hitting your fingers and a foldaway pack saw or even a swisstool have more uses. I've had to rustle up a dozen or so large tent pegs out of three in thick birch logs on scout camps with nothing but a swiss farmer and a muela sheath knife as we hadn't planned for fieldcraft as part of the agenda. made for a good lesson if nothing else.

I find that if you carry one then you are inclined to use it and there's enough damage done to good trees as it is.

canada or scandavia then maybe I'd use one but here its just playing jeramiah johnson. :)

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
axes have many uses, they are good for splitting wood if you don't want to damage your knife, hey can also be used to save time on jobs that would otherwise take along time- snedding branches for example or making tent pegs. Also, if you're like me and one of your primary activities in the wood then an axe is taken more for carving than anything else.

then there's the fact that an axe would be a useful bit of kit if you were in an actual survival situation for making shelter and fire quickly and easily, but more important than allof this i expect is that they're just pleasing tools to own and use

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
well I havent stumbled on an indian graveyard down the stroud valley yet but I'll keep on looking :)

if you have an axe with you then it isn't a proper survival situation unless all you remembered to bring was your axe. I'd be too preoccupied with food, water and getting the heck out rather than building a log cabin - its one of the things that made rm use the term bushcraft to describe third world camping ;)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
its kinda like the survival students on the moor

what do you do first, do you build a shelter, light a fire, go looking for worms to eat?

or do you follow the telephone wires to the inevitable farmhouse

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It all depends on what I intend to do and where I'm going as to whether or not I take my axe with me.

Most of the time I take a fixed blade knife and a folding saw and have no problems with that set up.

But, like others, I find using an axe to be somehow more satisfying :rolleyes: . I could batten firewood for the Kelly Kettle or hobbo stove with my knife, but the axe does the job so much more efficiently.

Simon

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I usually bring my axe to meets - there is generally a need to split larger logs for a communal fire, and as others have said, there is a joy in using tools like this. Also using an axe is not easy and it is a good skill to practice. For winter meets more firewood is needed and here the axe is most valuable.

However, for solo trips or expeditions in the UK I generally do not bring it. I don't need it as I can provide for a small fire with just a folding saw and knife. It's too heavy when backpacking. It can alarm landowners who may believe you are going to be felling trees or building huge fires.

It's definitely worth getting an axe and learning to use and sharpen it. It has its place.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
However, for solo trips or expeditions in the UK I generally do not bring it. I don't need it as I can provide for a small fire with just a folding saw and knife. It's too heavy when backpacking. It can alarm landowners who may believe you are going to be felling trees or building huge fires.

It's definitely worth getting an axe and learning to use and sharpen it. It has its place.

Good point. If I carry mine on the outside of my kit I wrap it up in a plastic bag. I carried a smaller hatchet for a while that I could conceal inside my pack when out walking but I found that it wasnt much more use than a decent thick knife for splitting. As a tool for use in camp I think that they definately have their place, from building to splitting larger quantities of firewood, and with a relatively short cutting edge IMO they are safer than the gollocks, machetes and larger knives that some 'shrafters seem to carry as an alternative. And if I didnt carry one, what would I use to bang my tent pegs in with?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I regard an axe as a luxury, not an essential - along with the espresso pot and the cast iron skillet. Worth having if you're in a fixed camp not too far from your transport, but not something I'd take backpacking.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
its kinda like the survival students on the moor

what do you do first, do you build a shelter, light a fire, go looking for worms to eat?

or do you follow the telephone wires to the inevitable farmhouse

.... only to see the occupant through the window rocking back and for obsessively sharpening an axe by the flickering light of a tallow candle.....bushcrafter or lunatic you must decide....;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE