Axe Quest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
As of the moment I'm on a bit of an axe quest.
I was originally looking for something small, in the style of Kephart's hatchet (coming with an 8oz - 225 gram head ). The only real candidate in this class is the vaughan hatchet. From what I've been able to get from various forums is that this used to be a very good bit of kit, but they changed the dies and now it isn't.
So rather than a pocket axe I thought I'd progress up to the camp axe - an all round size with say a 24 inch handle and a 1 kg( very roughly 2.2lb) head. Now I've got a fiskars axe but I'm looking for something with a more traditional handle and grind.
I've looked at Gransfors but, with P&P they are about double what I've got to spend.
It seems Wetterlings are a bit hit and miss in terms of quality at the moment.
I've been looking on E-bay and there are a few problems (aside from outrageous postage and the fact no-one wnats to ship outside the USA as usual)
I've been looking at various makes yet nothing seems right and there are a lot of double bits - not what I want.
So far I've looked for
  • Kelly
  • Collins
  • Norlund
  • old Marbles
  • anything "Hudson Bay"
  • Plumb
  • True Temper
  • Mann
And to date I've not come up with anything that is of the right size who'll actually ship to me.
I've tried a Polish maker - Kużnia - but when I e-mailed them about hardness I was told they were Rockwell 40!
I've found a supplier of Iltis Oxhead axes and I'm now wondering - are these my best bet for a traditional axe outside of Gransfors?
I don't mind doing a fair bit of work on the axe - as with many guys on here I'm keen on the idea of putting something of myself into a tool.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I use 3 axes for most evry day wood work task's. sandvik 600g (cheap car boot bargain) which has good steel edge that last's, sharpens well with a file good for intricate shaping because of its extreme points at either end of the cutting edge to get into awkward spot's and to do concave forms. I also have a gilpin 2 1/2 pound car boot sale again, also top quality steel, which is the biz for heavier shaping eg end grain on trough's, heavy chair seat's and leg's, its extra weight saves effort and streess on my hands. I also have a roselli all round axe (long handle version) Frankly out of the 3, its steel is by far the worst, it is soft and doesnt take or kep a good edge for long BUT its shape and weight forward desing make it ok for carving and shaping. I need to re-modify the handle again, its still too slippery and smooth. I wouldnt recomend it though, frankly its not worth £60. I use it but not so much or as readily as the other 2. Why not get a cheap old vintage kent pattern brades or gilpin off ebay? Top steel was generally standard 60 or 70 years ago

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
They do look good but where can you get them from.
Edit - just found a German site "wolfknives" which has them from about 50 euros up including postage - pretty expensive.

leon-1

Hi Sam, this is one of they cheapest places I have come across, they do felling axes for less than £20. Not much in the way of selection though.

pvrdirect

Don't know what the faithfull range are like to be honest, but they do also have Bacho kit so they may well be worth looking at.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
No, Kuznia is a normal tool company - unfortunately I don't have any contact numbers for individual smiths.
I've got a few norlund and collins heads I'm watching on e-bay. I'm also trying to track down a local source of Bahco, as I'd naturally rather buy in person and I'm working on my other half to let me but an Iltis axe, as she'll have to deal with all the bank transfers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE