Axe Puck?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
One stone for all:
:)
https://www.diy.com/departments/magnusson-sharpening-stone/1797794_BQ.prd
Or
15a7c819-37ec-4d6a-a7db-b9dd5992493c.jpg

Reactions: Stew

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What kind of an axe? What are you going to do with the axe?
They don't all need to be sharpened the same.

I have a several axes and hatchets for chopping and splitting.
A combo 80/120 grit and a combo 120/220 grit carborundum.
10W30 engine oil is OK to flush away the swarf. Not ever a "lubricant."

My wood carving elbow adzes and D adze are another matter, honed after 1,500 grit.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If you are set to buy the puck shaped stone, I can not imagine the Lansky branded one is twice as good, or will last twice as long, as the cheap, half price one.

For our ‘working knives’ which we need to be very sharp, we use a standard, dual coarseness stone we bought in a builders supply store.
Cheaply. Works beautifully.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a 2-sided carborundum axe puck. When I shut my eyes and feel the surfaces,
I can subjectively claim that it's about 120/220 grit. I try to keep the total included bevel to 30 degrees.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Admittedly only tried the pucks a couple of times and didnt get on with them. Hoodo-hone type setup each time for me. I find the pucks a bit small and scary..

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I wanted to get something Small & Light really, I've got loads of Diamond/Ceramic combi stones and the like, But I thought that if I really had to put the axe to hard use for longer trips out it might be a simpler way to get a rough edge back on it then finish if off with a finer stone.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To be frank, if you only cut wood, you only need a ‘touch up’ now and then, so a small two grit stone should be fine.
One stone for all your sharps.

I used to take a broken-in- half dual stone ( the oblong one) with me. I then progressed to rocks I found.

Son has a puck, but I think too the surface is to small. And fingers get very close.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
TBH, with an axe out in the field, I'll find a river bed worn stone of some kind and just put an edge back on with that. I even do it with knives if I have to (rarely though). I only have my full sharpening kit in a static camp.

Unless you're trying to do carving or felling, an axe doesn't need to be anywhere near as sharp as a knife.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE