Axe profiling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its an old thread (by an old man)

The eye will have a (slightly) wider part at the top. This is so that when wedged, the axe head can't slide off when swung. You can work out which the top is from the original photos ;)

I would even up the line and then bring the convexed are to about 3/4" from the cutting edge

Get that nicely sharpened. We can then darken it back if you want to make it dark and old looking. Not much point if you plan to use it a lot since you'll take off any patina in use and by sharpening.

It might be worth darkening the helve though

Red

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Having attempted to reprofile and realise that my cross cut files are too blunt (and the GB file not being to hand) I remembered a comment on here about using an automotive rotary (I was glancing around wondering where I'd put the belt sander when my eye fell on my DA sanders). I'd originally determined not to use mechanical assistance for fear of doing damage, but I use the DA sanders for correcting car paint and I reasoned that if they were gentle enough for that, then I wouldn't have any issues. It also occurred to me that when I got the Makita it came with a couple of boxes of 80 grit sanding disks. These mount by velcro onto a foam fitting on the Makita, which probably wouldn't be so good on a knife bevel, but seemed to work well to maintain the convex profile.

I've shifted the edge so that it's more or less central, and experimented with polishing the bevel. However I think I need to take the bevel back more as it's still not the 3/4" in depth, probably only 1/2" and I think perhaps the curve is too steep, but I thought easier to take off more metal later than try and fix it!

Still waiting for the new helve to arrive which will be a challenge to fix, though I have no idea what I'm going to use for the wedge...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The wooden wedge? Well a piece of the old handle sawed into a wedge shape should do it....its probably well seasoned!

If you want to put up some photos of the re-ground bit I can have a shufti if it helps?

Red

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Yes, likely I'll end up using the old helve, though I was hoping not to. Still, it'll keep a connection between old and new which will be nice.

First photos don't look too bad, but the second set look wonky lol. Mind you it also shows that the top of the axe is narrower than the bottom.

109-0970_IMG.JPG

109-0971_IMG.JPG

109-0973_IMG.JPG

109-0974_IMG.JPG

109-0984_IMG.JPG

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is so much better than it was before. You are right its not spot on, but you really have broke the back of it. The top two images are showing a good profile - the bottom two show that at one point its still off centre.

You really must have put some work into that though - I'm impressed!

You are at the "squint, file, squint" stage now. Its a pain but it will pay dividends in use - get the bevel straight and true and it will be a joy to use.

Please don't give up on this now! You are learning a skill that 1 in 10,000 people can't do anymore - set an axe up for serious use.

If you would prefer not to use your old axe, cutting a wedge from a billet of seasoned wood is easy. I'll do one for you if you like, but I'd love to see you do this one solo - it would be a huge achievement!

Seriously - that work you have done is fantastic!

Red

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Right, well after much help and encouragement, largely from Red, the axe is done. Bit reprofiled and re-handled. And all for a lot less cost than I would have expected.

The handle is a little darker than it was but not overly so, still though I think it's enough that it doesn't look too out of place. Stained and danish oiled. It's not a perfect job, but then it would look out of place if it were since this axe belonged to a farm worker for whom the axe was an occasional tool. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;)

110-1057_IMG.JPG

110-1058_IMG.JPG

The helve and wedge cracked a little on being hammered home, but most of that would probably have disappeared I guess if I'd have cut the excess off.
110-1061_IMG.JPG

I think it ended up fairly central too, surprisingly enough!
110-1062_IMG.JPG

110-1063_IMG.JPG

110-1064_IMG.JPG

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a lovely looking axe now Mirius - you've done a cracking job well done!

How does the balance feel now with the 4lb head on that length of helve?

Red

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
It's a testament to your generosity in time and effort Red. Without your tutorials and help I wouldn't have made half the job on it that I did. Not that a lot more practice wouldn't have improved the results.

Balance is better with that helve, perhaps an inch or two below the head. Swings nicely too, though I only had a rotten log to try it on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE