Axe position on belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
I am looking into making a leather sheath for a small hand axe, to attach it to my belt. A though occurred to me, however, that I haven't seen any referernces to which way around it should be. Is there a set place an axe should go (left, right, back, side etc. ) and which way should the edge face? The only fact I could find was a grainy picture, showing it on the back left of a belt.
Thanks in advance.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
Whoops, sorry, wrong section. First post... didn't know there was a tools bit further down. I would move it, but I have no idea how....

Sorry :(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just got my axe belt loop from Black Sheep, after walking round the garden for five minutes I think it's going to be back right :)

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
Thanks for the replies. From what you guys have said, it doesn't sound like there is a safest, or best way to have it. I thought I would check, because if I ever do make a sheath, i don't want it the wrong way. Could people tell me which side the loop is on any commercial sheaths, ie which way the edge is pointing if strapped to the right hand side of you.

Thanks

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Thanks for the replies. From what you guys have said, it doesn't sound like there is a safest, or best way to have it. I thought I would check, because if I ever do make a sheath, i don't want it the wrong way. Could people tell me which side the loop is on any commercial sheaths, ie which way the edge is pointing if strapped to the right hand side of you.

Thanks
hi mate if you make an axe belt loop, you can have it which way you like, i hope that makes sense bud, i use mine all the time, and its great.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
In this video Gabriel Brånby the CEO of Gränsfors Bruks talks about the history of the company and some of the changes he has made there.

[video=youtube;cDEtNA-LbxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEtNA-LbxM[/video]

Throughout the lecture he has a small axe (a Kubben I think) attached to the right side of his belt, cutting edge facing backwards.

I don't often carry an axe on my belt, but when I do I use a holster made by Ben Orford, which sits on my left side and I like to have the cutting edge facing backwards.

P9090194.jpg

:)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I carry mine left side, bit backwards (have the masks specially made). Safe to carry, safe to remove from the mask.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
In this video Gabriel Brånby the CEO of Gränsfors Bruks talks about the history of the company and some of the changes he has made there.

[video=youtube;cDEtNA-LbxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEtNA-LbxM[/video]

Throughout the lecture he has a small axe (a Kubben I think) attached to the right side of his belt, cutting edge facing backwards.

I don't often carry an axe on my belt, but when I do I use a holster made by Ben Orford, which sits on my left side and I like to have the cutting edge facing backwards.

P9090194.jpg

:)
yes thats like my belt loop, and they work great.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
I've always liked carrying things on shoulder belts, but I'm thinking of having someone make me a baldric at some point, when finances allow (and I own an axe, though that's not the only thing I'd use it for). If I fall over, I want it to fall away from my body freely, and likewise if it catches on something, particularly if it were a larger/longer hafted axe.

But presumably it doesn't make that much difference whether it faces forward or back, beyond the fact that you might want the toe of the haft to face a particular way? (I can think of a couple of practical considerations in both directions...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE