axe or large knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
im interested in what you would choose for a two week spell out in the bush somewhere,the place is ficticious,it has mixed woodland,both pine and deciduous,you have no shelter with you,there is a water supply,small game may be hunted,and its mid winter,you have with you a blade of your choice,this being an axe or a large knife plus a small bush knife of your choice,you have warm clothing, bedding,you also have firelighting equipment,so what will you take the axe or the large bladed knife?and why?

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I would certainly take an ax, either a GB hunters ax or my HB voyageurs ax (slightly larger). I have used an ax of different styles most of my life and I am more confortable with them. I would have a hard choice between an ax and a knife as an only sharp tool but here I have both :D CG :yo:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Finding that even in our area here, the axe is a far better friend when it comes to firewood and shelter, than is a large knife. Here's the combo I'd probably carry with me.

336191-big.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Even as someone who likes bigger knives, I still think that if I had to choose between the two I'd take the axe as long as I was able to take the smaller knife too. If it was a case of "One blade, and one blade only only" then I wouldn't have to think before reaching for my big old Burmese machete. That thing takes a good enough edge to skin and dress game with ease, clears brush like you wouldn't believe and has enough weight to fell trees with (Been there, done that)
In this case though, having a smaller knife already, and having to choose between my bowie and an axe, I guess I'd take the axe (as long as weight was not also a factor) If everything had to carried on my belt, then the either the machete or bowie would win. With a pack and/or a fixed camp site, then it would be the axe.

Oh to hell with it. When I go, I'm taking them all! :lmao:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ideally, knife, billhook & axe :)

Though the choice between a big knife and axe, it'd be the axe.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
an axe because i find them more efficent for shelter building and wood working.I like axes I like them very much

I'm with Hoodoo - but it really depends on where you are, what winter is like there and whether you have a double walled tent with stove. In really cold places or in cold/damp places you need a 12"/30cm diameter tree per day cut and split. That generalization was made up in coniferous forests where a 12" diameter tree is pretty tall.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Axe, no question. Can be used for felling, quick for dressing branches into poles, splitting wood, stripping bark and a host of other uses.

In fact I'd take an axe if the choice was axe or knife. Axe can be used to dress animals as well, just keep it sharp - which we all do of course ;)

I don't have any experience with machetes or parang's so I'll stick with what I am happy with.

Moduser

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
if its a choice between a hatchet and a big knife, I'm for the big knife , much more versatile in my opinion, but if your talking about a small axe of say a 2- 2 1/2 lb head , thats pretty hard to beat for forest use.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Choice: between a hatchet and a big knife, it would still be the hatchet, but I would seriously consider the kukri if it were offered instead of the big knife. CG :yo:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I would go with the Wildlife hatchet. You can use the poll for hammering and it's a better wedge for splitting wood although you can use a baton for hammering and make a wooden wedge. I generally prefer the balance of a hatchet as well. A good saw and a Wildlife hatchet will lay in a lot of wood for you. Out of all the GB line, I have probably had more fun with the Wildlife than any other.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I just got a leuku blade from brisa, and I'm hoping to get it handled-up asap so I ccan try it out. It's the first proper chopping knife I've had, and even though it's short, it has loads of weight, and will definitely chop well.

One question: I was thinking of putting an extra inch or so on the handle so that I can shuffle my hand down and get some extra leverage for chopping. Does that make sense? Does anyone else do that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE