Axe or Hatchet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
When camping in the Big woods I carry a 3/4 axe called a boy's axe
over hear. Other times I just carry a small hatchet in my saddle bags

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Do you need an axe in the UK? Possibly not. A laplander and or bowsaw will cope with the majority of wood cutting you need; felling a tree is easier with a saw than an axe IMHO. Small sharp axe or hatchet will do the tidying up of felled trees / branches etc as will a Kukri. The jury is out still regarding how useful they really are for me anyway, but as I rarely take one with me I suppose I've answered my own question.

Its your pick, if you enjoy wacking away in the woods for a while then go for it I guess;)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Do you need an axe in the UK? Possibly not. A laplander and or bowsaw will cope with the majority of wood cutting you need; felling a tree is easier with a saw than an axe IMHO

Another point in favour of the saw as opposed to the axe is that while saw-cuts are nasty and slow to heal, one seldom do major damage to oneself with a saw (cut tendons in the back of the hand are probably the most likley "bad" injuries). Axes can quickly do major and permanent damage.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Another point in favour of the saw as opposed to the axe is that while saw-cuts are nasty and slow to heal, one seldom do major damage to oneself with a saw (cut tendons in the back of the hand are probably the most likley "bad" injuries). Axes can quickly do major and permanent damage.

If points in favour are the respective injury damage capabilities of the respective tools, I respectfully suggest that neither are carried!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
In the woods i generally carry a large knife 5.7inch blade and my laplander. I haven't been unable to do anything yet so the combo works for me. I batton my fire wood hence the larger blade. much more effective than a 4 inch blade. Saves weight too. My axes are mainly used now for carving and splitting larger log rounds for firewood at home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE