Axe mod help

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi guys,

I picked up a cheap Kent pattern recently and decided to have a go at modding it.
I have cut away some of the head to give it a differs shape and am wondering what the best to protect the newly exposed steel?

I have some gun blue which I may use but wondered what the collective experience here thinks would be the best option?

6b47a182db8252c0e68eb04834eba237.jpg

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I also meant to ask if it would be fine to let it develop a natural patina of rust like the rest of the head over time instead of any actual treatment?

Cheers, Hamster

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
You can always put a patina on it with vinegar

I did consider it but I can't stand the stuff, even the smell makes me gag! I do have have some ferric chloride hanging around too for etching which I could use instead of a blue.

I suppose I really just need to decide whether or not leaving it as is and waiting for a patina to appear would be a risk to the head.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Theres not much you can do with it. You wont bring it back to its original state. Sand and polish the whole thing. So its uniform, then decide whether you like it. Obviously hot bluing would be better than cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE