Axe Mask 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
the return!!!

Another bland one I'm afraid, it's the second of a pair so even though I was toying with the idea of some stitching, I opted for the easier riveting. This time for a very nice big Elwell axe. :D There's some nice colour/texture to this one but the camera flash seems to have washed it out, oh for some sunshine!! I tried to emulate Rapidboys stripey effect but slightly more subdued came out OK but took a bit longer due to multiple coats

DSCF1739.jpg

DSCF1740.jpg

DSCF1736.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
They're excellent Alan. Really nice. In fact, do you make these commercially?

Very nice Alan

I'm not far off needing a new myself, might give you a shout soonish.

I could do but it takes me so long I'd need to charge you a million quid!! tbh I'd go to this guy and get one ;) that's a bit tastier!! I'm going to try and do something a bit nicer for my either my SFA or cegga and create a template but it's low on the list of to dos I'm afraid

Thanks for the interest though, be struggling to get my hat on now ;)

Cheers,

Alan

Jan 26, 2009
fermanagh N. Ireland
Hi Alan
lovely and very practial bit of work.I like the rivets, my sewn cover it starting to cut at the stiching with use. the quick relese fixing loop is great too. I like

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Alan,

Nice work with the solid rivets I guess you don't to put a strip of ally or brass in to stop the edge cutting thought the leather.

What sort of rivets are they? I have some 1/8" solid copper rivets I might try:rolleyes:

Cheers

Richard

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Ach Richard, now you're just being polite ;)

No metal strip, there's a welt in there though, same as you would do for a knife. It's a little thicker than normal, the full width of the rivet and then a bit. The rivets are these guys, good seller BTW used him a couple of times, not 100% happy with the way they were hammered over, found it tricky to get a nice finish with no sharp edges I suppose it'll get better with practice.

Cheers,

Alan

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Ach Richard, now you're just being polite ;)

No metal strip, there's a welt in there though, same as you would do for a knife. It's a little thicker than normal, the full width of the rivet and then a bit. The rivets are these guys, good seller BTW used him a couple of times, not 100% happy with the way they were hammered over, found it tricky to get a nice finish with no sharp edges I suppose it'll get better with practice.

Cheers,

Alan

Have you tried annealing them first ( heat to cherry red and air cool, they do go black but leaving them in citric acid for a while takes care of that) then hammering them over.

Cheers Richard

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Nope never occurred to me, didn't think you had to It's really just round the edges of the mushroom where you pound it over, I'm pretty sure it's my bad technique as should they not be whacked over almost back down onto the washer? I was struggling to do this without hitting the leather. Need to look into this a bit more..

Cheers,

Alan

Steven J

May 8, 2009
Australia
Nice work on the rivets. It is not easy to get them looking right. Getting them all tidy makes a great finish on the piece.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE