Axe Head Sizes for Sheath Matching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

My Hultafors HY20 light felling axe arrived yesterday, and I'd like to try and find a ready-made sheath for it. The Gransfors ones look well made, but I don't know if any will be a good fit. So, I thought it would be worth starting a thread where folks can post the dimensions of their axe heads. This way, makes and models can be compared with a view to buying a 3rd-party sheath that has a good chance of fitting. Consequently, it would be especially good to get dimensions from owners of axes whose makers also supply sheaths.

I will monitor the thread and update the table as and when time allows.

• For consistency, please post your axe head's measurements in centimetres.

• If your head's measurements have already been posted, but your particular example is different, please post anyway - I will indicate a size range in the table.

Make Model Bit Length Bit to Poll Poll to Shoulder Head Depth
Hultafors HY20 9 17 2 5

Guide to measuring...

• Round UP to the nearest 0.5cm.
  • Bit length - measure from point to point.
  • Bit to poll - measure perpendicular to the poll, in a straight line to the furthest part of the bit.
  • Poll to shoulder - straight line from the poll to the shoulder of the handle
  • Head depth - measure vertically from the top of the head to the narrowest part on the lower side (where your fingers go when choking up to the head). If there is no narrowest point, measure in line with the leading surface of the handle.

The poll to shoulder measurement is to give an idea of whether a strap that goes around here will be long enough (or too long, leading to a looser fit).

The head depth measurement is to allow for the angle from the bit towards the handle - depending on the design, a sheath for an axe with a pronounced beard might not fit a less bearded axe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Frankly I think Gransfors axe masks are the worst I have encountered - they are thin, poorly fitted and let the axe down. I have replaced all my axe masks with proper thick leather from the makers on here (Singtek, Dougster, Topknot etc.), so I would avoid buying one. Have a maker make what you want, to a deisgn you like is my advice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE