Axe handle wedges

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
How neccessary are they? I have just started to put a handle on aqn axe haed, the handle is made from a hickory sledgehammer handle. The problem is that after test fitting the head, i've got the thing stuck on!

and i mean really stuck, not even my biggest hammer is getting it out.

The main problem is that the handle is only about 2/3 of the way on the head.

any suggestions?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
You could bring it indoors and leave it next to a radiator or stove for a few days, shrinkage does wonnders for loosening axce heads :) Or try Mr Wood's tip "fitting an axe handle" of using a block of wood in the axe head to tap it back out on a block or bench top. What I usually do is hold the axe cheek's in a big powerful post vice, then use a crude "chisle" made of oak to push the handle back out using a fairly hefty hammer (eg brickie's club hammer or a home made wood mallet or small maul) to drive it.
And yes a wedge system of some sort is essential to retain a strong handle to head fixing, unless the axe has a tapered socket fit (like on pick axe's)

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I had held the axe head in a big vice and tightened it up as much as i dare, too tight and i assumed that i'd just be gripping the handle more.

Then i used the technique which you mention- bashing the handle out wiht a piece of wood and a hammer- a 32oz( i think) ball pien hammer,

it just pushed it out of the vice, so i tightened the vice as tight as it would go and it just moved the whole shed.

think i'll have to drill this one out.

Nathan

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
In seriousness rather than putting the axe head in the vice and gripping that put the handle in the vice and do it up so it doesn't grip but still supports the axe head. Then try knocking out the handle as it won't be gripped and hopefully your vice is strong enough to take the knocking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE