Axe handle finishing advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Merry Christmas all!

Ask me how I know my girlfriend is perfect - because she bought me a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe for Christmas!

A question for all you much more experienced bods than I. The handle is rougher than I expected, I'm tempted to give it a bit of a sand and oil/wax, but have little experience of such manly DIY, so I thought I should ask first. I'd rather look a tool than wreck one.

Advice please.

AJB

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use wire wool and linseed oil for a smooth finish. Some like a rougher finish for carving, but my axes are used for firewood.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use a D-adze and an elbow adze (both blades from Kestrel Tool) and a Stubai for the rough out parts of bigger wood carvings.
I need the rougher surface to ensure striking accuracy. The elbow and Stubai have been whip-finished with tarred #18 nylon seine twine.
Not dirty but just sticky enough that I never need a death-grip to aim them.

Out in the winter, if my leather faced mittens got wet, then frozen, I'd want an axe, every axe, to be something easy to hang on to.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Out in the winter, if my leather faced mittens got wet, then frozen, I'd want an axe, every axe, to be something easy to hang on to.

I'm not see what easy to hang on to means, and I can why grip matters on a one handed tool, but the helve on a two handed axe is supposed to slide through the guiding hand?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thank you both.

Red, for nearly 10 years you've been my go to guy for how to do stuff! I'll take your advice, many thanks.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
For handworking tools an oiled finish every time, same goes for my canoe paddles, other finishes seem to cause blisters (IMHO)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Im just doing the haft of a carpenters axe I got for Christmas. A quick sand with 250 grit sandpaper and then many thin wipes with walnut oil, let it dry in between coats and a light rub with wire wall before the next. I believe it's ...once a day for a week.. .once a week for a month and then once a month for a year!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE