Axe gallery!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I don't own all these now, only some of them, but these are some of what i've had over recent years. i have 4 double bit cruiser heads and 2 Norlund hatchet heads on the way from the states as i type. I also have a 3 1/2 lb double bit upstairs to handle.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
My latest one, at the moment I like it so much I will probably keep it, carve a proper handel for it and if there is demand make copies. 950g and just under 8" cutting edge. Also a GB kubben that doesn't get much use at the moment.

Last edited:

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
The axes I make are aimed at shaping wood rather than splitting or felling. The smaller ones ( kubben sized) are often used for roughing out spoons. When you have lots of wood to shift or need larger flat surfaces then a bigger, heavier axe is easier. This one would be more suited for roughing a bowl, it is similar to axes used for roughing out clogs.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks for that. A smaller one, similar in size to a Gransfors carving axe, might be very popular. At almost 8'', one your size might scare off the inexperienced axe users as it does have a somewhat fearsome appearance:)
Superb work, congratulations on thatgoodjob

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
So many beautiful axes in this thread! I think I have axe-envy now.

Here are mine:
2013-04-21+16.12.39.jpg

My beloved SFA by Anders Strömstedt. It is my only good axe, and I do everything with it. Below you see my old hatchet. I bought that when I was about 14. I rehandled it at some point. It isn`t very good, but I am rather attached to it.

I hope that I can add a carving axe and a wildlife hatchet to this collection at some point.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
My current axes from the top : a light weight carver, a slightly sided carver, the most popular carver I make, and a bearded carver, quite versatile to use.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
nic, those are absolutely beautiful axes. Beauty and function together, truly stunning. I had a look at your website but there are no axes listed for sale unfortunately, as I'm sure there are lots of people that would be interested. Price is always a deciding factor of course but I for one would love to know more of the details -construction, steel, bit hardness etc.
I particularly like the way your axes provide hand clearance, unlike the GB large carving axe that is a bit uncomfortable for me when choking up on the handle for extended periods.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, I'd like to know a price on 'the most popular carver as well' Also Nic, have you any photos of your adzes, out of interest?
Thanks

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
Purely from an educational perspective, what do you guys use hawks for? I always felt a good camp axe or hatchet would outperform one, but they are clearly popular.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Purely from an educational perspective, what do you guys use hawks for? I always felt a good camp axe or hatchet would outperform one, but they are clearly popular.

I use it for chopping stuff like spoons. Because of the thin profile it chops better than most hatchets. For splitting I do use a hatchet.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I don't usually carry an axe of any kind when afoot (I do keep one in the truck at all times though) But when I do it's most often a real axe or hatchet.

However the hawk does have some real advantages that some appreciate:
1. It's generally far lighter
2. If you break the handle it can easily be replaced in just minutes with a green stick.
3. Although it's slightly less practical (as you should carry a proper knife for these tasks) it can easily be slipped off the handle and used as a knife for cleaning fish and game or for general knife work.

Then too there's that intangible feeling using something that traces back to older times. Not to mention the sheer fun of throwing them in competition at camp events.

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
My latest addition to the family, got it last summer:

_DSC0513.jpg

And my rehandled hatchet.
_DSC0759.JPG

I just went through this thread again to look at all the nice pictures. Axes are lovely things to look at.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Some lovely axes in this thread, here are my three...

Gränsfors Scandinavian Forest Axe
Gränsfors Small Forest Axe
Gränsfors Small Hatchet

DSC_0015-017.JPG

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE