Axe for under £10?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
Im after a simple axe to use when i take groups out. Is it possible to get a good SHARP axe for under a tenner? if so...where? and would it have to be sharpened much? :confused:

cheers

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Leon-1 picked up a great axe cheap from somewhere, brains not working today.

It had a plastic or fibre glass handle and was really nice for the money.

Hang let me do a quick search...................................................

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
moduser said:

Hang let me do a quick search...................................................

is plastic or fibre glass reliable? i was thinking more along the lines of wood. but then again beggers cant be choosers :lmao:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I recall that some axes were coming up on ebay before under swedish axe. They were a tenner and some of them were Wetterlings axes!! Have a look on the bay of evilness, you may get lucky!

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I picked up a couple a Trago Mills in Newton Abbot in the summer, they are quite nice wooden handled ones for £1.65 each!!

I thought I'd get a couple more for the Scouts last week when we went to the Liskeard shop but they didn't have any there :( I don't know if they still have them in Newton Abbot. Probably doesn't help you much in Bedfordshire!

I meant to lookup the manufacturer on the web to see if anyone else is selling them cheap but I keep forgetting and I don't have them here with me at work (they frown on that sort of thing in the office :p ).

leon-1

moduser said:

Hi mate, yep it was a Fiskars axe, this is the link to the one on thier website, I purchased mine from either B&Q or Homebase, I cannot remeber which, but at the time it cost less than £10.

The handle is made from something called Nyglass, as you know they are pretty much bombproof, there have been threads on here before with reference to Fiskars axes, for the money they are very good tools, with a little re-profiling they are a great tool.

I think Old Jimbo did some tests on them, so it may be worth asking his opinion of them (he is by far more knowledgeable about axes than I am). I know that sargey has been pretty impressed with them in the past as well.

I hope this will be of help,

Leon:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I picked up a £1-99 axe at a local tool shop, by Rolcraft I think. It took a while to scrape the gaudy gold paint off the haft and head, but it looks the part now. Soon the epoxied eye will give way and I can put a decent handle on it. Also spent a while thinning the face to give it a bit more bite.
I doubt that the steel will be very good but it seems good enough for now.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
i got mine from focus for about £9, i saw one in leeks for £8, and a cheap one in a independant tool shop. try the focus and leeks website. they are tubular handled and a wide head - not very ideal but they work.

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
there is a german tool manufacturer called CK they do a good sized hatchet with an un breakable fibre glass shaft for about a tenner in most tool shops

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
CK are very good quality.
i dont know if you have an agricultural supplier near you they usually have a selection of axes and billhooks at a reasonable price.

Mark

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Ogri the trog said:
I picked up a £1-99 axe at a local tool shop, by Rolcraft I think. It took a while to scrape the gaudy gold paint off the haft and head, but it looks the part now. Soon the epoxied eye will give way and I can put a decent handle on it. Also spent a while thinning the face to give it a bit more bite.
I doubt that the steel will be very good but it seems good enough for now.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Rolson it is, same as the ones I bought in Trago. Like this one, however the cost of the postage on this one far outweighs the cost of the axe!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE